Had things happened tonight as they were supposed to, we would have dropped the boys off at the apartment of this month's babysitting co-op host and hopped on a train bound for Manhattan. We would have gone to Penelope for dinner, where we would have ordered their to-die-for BLTs and amazing spinach artichoke dip. We would have reveled in our time alone together, and it would have been wonderful.
But that is not how things tonight happened because it is raining. No, wait. It's not just raining. It's pouring -- sheets, buckets, cats and dogs, what have you. And the gusts of wind have been frighteningly impressive. Earlier this evening Garrett and I heard a horrific crashing sound followed by car alarms coming from just outside. We hurried to the window to find that two large flower carts from the Green Grocery across the street had blown across the sidewalk where they slammed into two parked cars.
So instead of subjecting ourselves, and especially our two little boys, to a walk to, wait for, and ride on the bus through a cold and torrential downpour, we canceled our evening out. Date plans foiled. (Again.) To say I was disappointed would be a gross understatement.
We stayed inside. Well, most of us did. Blake braved the wet, wild outdoors to pick up some Chinese take out for dinner. He came home, though, with more than just fried rice and egg rolls. He felt so bad that our date plans were washed out to sea, he also swung by a bakery to get some black and white cookies and to the Green Grocery for a big, beautiful bouquet of bright yellow daisies. Did you know that baked goods and yellow flowers can turn a sour, stormy evening right around? They can.
Thanks, Blake, for your thoughtfulness.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Aww. I am sorry. That is disappointing! Good job, Blake for making the inside staying fun!
I've long believed that daisies are happy flowers. It's hard to not smile when you see them.
I'm sorry your plans fell through - that would be very disappointing. Yay for a good husband for helping to salvage the evening.
how sad! now I feel bad for complaining about our wind. It definitely wasn't as bad as that!
Happy (British) Mothers Day Lindsay xxx
Glad you had a good evening, in the end. I love yellow flowers too.
Stink for a lost evening out... buy yay for an awesome husband!
Glad Blake was able to get the treats home unharmed by the torrential rains! Have fun with your in-laws this week.
Post a Comment