wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

gaming with garrett

What happens when your 2-year-old learns to use a mouse with at least a workable degree of precision? Why, the list of games he likes to play on the computer is enhanced, of course. Here's where Garrett likes to spend his time online:
A small part of me feels a little guilty that I let my 2-year-old play around on the computer, even though I monitor both what he's doing and how long he's there. But then he does something that reminds me that he's learning more playing these games than he seems to when I sit down with him. Like yesterday as we headed down into the subway, he pointed to the sign and told me we were going to be riding the R train. I was surprised and impressed; I didn't know he knew the letter R. Down on the platform, and using other signs and advertisements, I quizzed him on other letters to see what else he knew. It turns out that, in addition to U and K, which I already knew he knew, he also knows O, I, and E. He gets A and Z about half the time, and he seems to know P, even though he pronounces it like B.

And it's not just letters. He's learning his shapes and colors. And he's starting to count (he can get up to three, though, I'll admit, they're not always said in the right order. At least he can say those numbers, which is progress for him.)

The computer might be a more engaging teacher than I am, but that doesn't stop me from quizzing him whenever the opportunity to arises. Between the alphabet magnets on the refrigerator, his coloring book and crayons, the shapes we see around us on a regular basis, and when we count to three before he goes down the playground slide or before he throws me a new diaper before a change ("goo cah," or "good catch," he always tells me after I catch it), we get lots of chances to practice and learn together.

And besides, he's growing up in an age where computer skills will be vital to his survival. He'll have to learn to navigate the virtual world eventually, right? No better time to get started than the present, I think, especially if there's already a strong interest I can easily harness.

Do you let your toddlers play games on the computer? If so, what are their favorites?

5 comments:

AmyJane said...

Patrick started playing computer games when he was about 2.5 years old. He's always loved them and he has truly learned A LOT from them. I totally agree--it shouldn't be the only teacher but it sure does help!
Also, it makes for great currency. Meaning that computer time is SO important to him that giving it and taking it away are my very best behavior modification strategies with him. Just saying. You gotta have something they care about enough that thay don't want to lose it! :)

Mallory said...

Carson is so into the computer right now. He loves Starfall and all the FisherPrice.com games, as well as any and every game that can be found on playhousedisney.com (not as educational, but fun nonetheless). Although he still struggles with using a mouse, I'm shocked at how much he already knows about using a computer. I figure it goes into the same boat as TV, and feel fine about him playing on it as long as I don't let his combine tv/computer time become too excessive. Something I am sure will be harder to do (for a short time anyway) once this baby arrives.

Jolynn said...

Everest loves to watch McKinley play the computer. The other day she gave him a turn and I was amazed at how well he could use the mouse. I think playing computer is great as long as it is educational.

jeanine said...

William loves computer games. I actually let James play on pbskids today for the first time. Don't feel guilty letting Garrett play... it's utilizing your resources!

vdg family said...

My personal feelings on the subject are like yours. Sometimes we really need a moment to regroup or make dinner or something else vital to our family's existence--and the computer can be very helpful--and educational at the same time!