...made and devoured pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
...watched the Ragamuffin Parade go down our street.
...worked on freezer-paper-stenciling and fabric painting the boys' Halloween costumes. Can you guess who'll be this year?
...became even more convinced that Caleb says "dad" and "mama" in reference to Blake and I. He might also say "more," but that one is still open for debate. I also enjoyed watching him understand and follow simple instructions. He can now sit down, go get his blanket, and put dirty clothes in the hamper when asked.
...wore new pants, purchased earlier last week at Target, that are actually long enough. Do you know how hard it is to find pants in long sizes for affordable prices? I was so pleasantly surprised that Target actually carried a few pairs that fit me.
...listened to Garrett "read" me Freight Train.
...for the first time in years we all slept in until 8:00 on a Sunday morning. When they finally woke up, the boys joined us in our bed, which was fun for about five minutes until they both began jumping and flopping dangerously around.
...did a lot of thinking, based on your kind comments (which, thank you for those, by the way), about Garrett's school situation. I agree that the ideal place a 3-year-old can receive an education is at home, but there are things relating to his language development that, despite my own schooling, I cannot give him, which is why I enrolled him in this school. (As I understand the system, once a child turns 3, speech therapy can no longer be given at home, as was the case with Early Intervention.) I really do believe -- because I have seen it happening already -- that Garrett can benefit from this experience. That said, however, I also realize that there are certain issues that need to be dealt with. I'm not going to do anything so rash as withdraw him from the class no questions asked (or answered). The school, which I really am so far impressed with, in spite of this particular experience, has an open door policy, and I plan to observe Garrett in class on occasion to get my own view of how he's doing. I am also in communication with his teachers and am ready to work with them to help Garrett. If things improve, as I'm hopeful they will, I'll keep him in the class. If they don't, I'll take the appropriate steps to make sure a better situation, whatever it might be, is secured.
4 comments:
Your weekend sounded fun! And the Halloween costumes are going to look so cute on your kids! I still can't decide what Blake is going to be. I would love to find a baby costume of George Washington. That probably sounds really weird, but I think it would be hilarious to dress him up as Washington, complete with a powdered wig. Congrats on the pants! And I'm glad that you get to observe Garrett at school and work with his teachers to make sure he has positive experiences.
I actually just sent you an email, but I have complete confidence that you and Blake are raising Garrett (and Caleb) well and will always do what you feel is best for them. Love you!
Also, I just finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the first time and loved it. I understand the roots of the Ragamuffin parade!
Love those costumes. Love those costumes. Seriously, they're going to be too cute.
What a lovely weekend. Love the costumes! I am thinking about a knight and a dragon for my boys this year, but Harry does not like dressing apart from wearing his skeleton pj's? So maybe a skeleton and a dragon?! x
Post a Comment