wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, October 22, 2010

head trauma

I've mentioned recently that Caleb is a climber. He also, as my mom noticed when she was here, has a bit of the devil in him. He is a tease who is determined to be into and onto everything around him. So it wasn't too surprising that I spent quite a bit of my early Monday morning pulling him down off of the rocking chair and attempting to distract him with something else only to find him seconds later back up dinking around on the rocking chair.

The fateful fall happened shortly after I'd taken him off yet again and carried him back to the bedroom to get him dressed. While I was getting his clothes out of the dresser, he zipped back out to the living room, climbed on the rocking chair, and then fell off. I didn't watch him fall, but I heard the thud and the cry that followed, so I went out to soothe him. I found him on the floor lying on his back, so I picked him up and carried him back to the bedroom with me. While I was still holding him, his eyes rolled to the back of his head and he passed out. (Oh my goodness -- that was such a horrible thing to witness!) Panicked, I shook him awake, but he kept losing consciousness, and it took all I had to keep him from continuing to pass out.

My mom, who was just a few hours away from needing to head to the airport for her flight home, told me to call 911, which I did. A few minutes later the paramedics arrived. Caleb by this point was starting to come out of it a little, but after the EMTs found out that he'd lost consciousness, we had no choice but to take a ride to the hospital in the ambulance. They put Caleb in a neck brace and strapped him to a papoose board so that he would be completely immobilized, then took him down to the ambulance waiting in front of the building. I rode in the back with him. (And yes, the lights and sirens were on.)

At the hospital a rather large trauma team quickly went to work on Caleb. They checked his vitals and got information from me, then wheeled him to radiology for a CT scan and x-ray. They had a hunch at this point that he'd be fine, but they wanted to be sure, especially since he was so young. He was then wheeled to a triage room in the Emergency Department and moved, still completely immobilized, to a crib for observation. I sat with him, sad that I could only hold his hands, but relieved that no one thus far had made me feel like a bad mother -- I was doing enough of that on my own.

Caleb slept for a while, but when he woke to find himself still strapped in the papoose and in that darn neck brace, he was mad -- oh so very, very mad. He wiggled out of that papoose and completely (and likely uncomfortably) disrupted the positioning of the neck brace. Eventually I was able to get someone to come help and they finally took him out of the restraints, which obviously weren't doing anything now anyway. I was told that the scans came back normal, and that as soon as Caleb had proved that he could keep food down, we'd be free to leave. We were released to go home (with our diagnosis of Level II head trauma) a couple hours later.

Meanwhile, my mom, bless her heart, took care of Garrett at home. She got him on the school bus and shortly thereafter got herself into a car service en route to the airport. She even straightened up my apartment, which in all the commotion from earlier that morning had been left a mess. I'm still a little sad that I couldn't give her a proper goodbye, but incredibly grateful that she was there and able to help. Blake came home early so he could get Garrett off the bus after school. He and I arrived home at about the same time; it was nice to have him around to help me recover from my own case of Level II trauma.

Caleb is back to his old self, and to look at him today, you'd hardly know how miserable he was earlier this week. We'll go back next week to the Trauma Clinic adjoining the ER for a follow-up appointment to make sure everything really is still fine. I'm surprised that we'd made it this long without a trip to the ER, but not surprised that it was Caleb who took us there. He has now been banned from all high places, but that hasn't stopped the climbing. So, no lessons learned apparently. And unfortunately.


Completely immobilized in the back of the ambulance.


With our very nice paramedic.


In the Emergency Department triage crib. At this point I think he was more traumatized from the treatment than from the fall.


My poor baby. This photo makes me want to cry.

15 comments:

Amy F. P. said...

Oh, wow. How scary that would be. I'm so glad he is OK.

Whitney said...

Wow. I'm glad he's ok! ER visits are never fun! (So this may sound like a silly question, but being here without a car has made me wonder what you do if you need to go to the ER. I know you can always call 911, but what if you think your child's life isn't in danger, but still think an ER visit is necessary? Do you just walk there? We really aren't far from the hospital so I guess we could. Before we moved here Blake spit up some blood and although he didn't seem to be in any pain I thought a trip to the ER was necessary so I drove there. I didn't think calling an ambulance was necessary because he seemed ok. That's why I ask.)

Simply Britt said...

i'm glad little caleb is ok!!!! can't wait to see him in about 18 months or so he is going to be so big ;-) love y'all

Wendy said...

How scary! So glad Caleb is ok and I hope you're recovering too!

Kimberly said...

It's so amazing how different brothers can be! I'm so glad he's okay! Sounds like you had plenty of trauma yourself! I know I definitely would too! Well, Caleb will have lots of trauma stories to tell his friends when he's older!

Peter and Mandy said...

Wow what a day! So glad he is doing better, I got chills just reading about it.

Kristi said...

Wow, that'd be scary - especially the eyes rolling back in his head part. I'd also be so grateful that my mom was there - she'd have been my first call anyways, you know?

I'm glad he's okay and that you had the help you needed. :)

AmyJane said...

Oh my word. I was just thinking the other day, knock on wood, how miraculous it is that I have had children for almost 5 years now and have yet to visit an ER with any of them.
Scary, scary stuff. I'm so glad everything is okay. Do you think he learned anything about climbing, or is he just too young to make the connection: climbing on the rocking chair=strapped into a brace for hours.

Kelly said...

I'm so happy he's ok!!! I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you!

Desmama said...

Oh, precious boy! Those pictures make me want to cry, too. He's so darling. I'm glad he's okay but I'm sure it was frightening. And heavens, Lindsay, you're a wonderful mother--no need for guilt. All of us have kids who, for whatever reason, seem to want to tempt the very edges of fate/reason/whatever you want to call it. Parenting is not for the faint of heart! :)

MOMster said...

Awww poor little guy. I'm glad that everything turned out well. I hope mama and baby have both recovered from their trauma. What a scary thing! We had to take Anthony to the ER when he was two because he woke up gasping for air and couldn't breathe. He had a temperature of 104. It turned out he had a bad bout of bronchitis. I never want to go through something like that again.

Samantha said...

Oh Lindsay those photos make me want to cry too!!

Lyndsie Miles said...

That makes any mama want to cry! I'm glad all was well. That would totally freak me out!

Unknown said...

wow! what a trip. glad your mom was there. i'm impressed you thought to take pictures!

GR82BAMOM said...

Wow. What a story! Happy to know he is okay though. Liam has always a climber and it definitely scary sometimes! Still, can't believe you were sufficiently calm enough to even think about taking to take pictures. You can always show those to him later when he's older and starts getting any dare-devil ideas.