wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, October 8, 2010

on spontaneity

Let it be known that yesterday, after Garrett arrived home from school to a wide open afternoon and pronounced exuberantly that he wanted to go to the zoo, I was uncharacteristically spontaneous.

We went to the zoo, neverminding that we'd only get to be there a short time before it closed or that we'd have to deal with crowded rush hour subway traffic.

We went to the zoo, and while we were there, we watched the sea lions swim in the setting sun, and fed barn animals, and explored the hands-on activities along the Discovery Trail.

We went to the zoo, and I didn't overthink anything, and I let the boys wander and play, and we all had a great time.

And as I watched them laughing and running, I realized that sometimes I need to be a little more carefree -- a little more like them...a little more spontaneous.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Love that! We frequently head to the zoo on a whim. Makes for an awesome afternoon. Granted, we don't have subway traffic...

Whitney said...

Good for you! I hate the crowded subway. It causes me anxiety sometimes so I try to plan around busy times.

mcampbell said...

That was completely lovely.

Jill said...

You are fun! I admire you.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

An excellent admission from the ambassador from plan-land :)

Emily said...

Yay for spontaneous afternoons, they are oftern the best!! x