wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

crazy quilting

Call me crazy because I am making a crazy quilt.

Crazy quilts, which date back to the mid-1870s, are composed of scraps from a wide assortment of fabrics sewn to a muslin foundation block and then embellished with appliques, ribbons, buttons, lace, and embroidery. There is no rhyme or rhythm to how these patchwork blocks are assembled, which is exactly what makes them so crazy.

As you can imagine, they are a great way to use up leftover fabric. Over the years I've grown a decent-sized stash of fabric from leftover quilting and sewing projects, salvaged from discarded clothes, and purchased on clearance or in end-of-the-bolt discount bins at fabric stores. Because I'm all about "wasting not, wanting not," I thought it was high time to put it to good use.

You want to know what is going to make my crazy quilt all the crazier? I am piecing it by hand. My fingers like to stay busy, and I've discovered that not only is it not at all difficult to hand-sew (all it requires is an ability to thread a needle and perform a basic running stitch), it's also surprisingly therapeutic and a pleasant way to fill my quiet, lonely evenings after the boys have gone to bed and Blake is busy being the bishop.

How correctly I am assembling mine is wide open for debate, and my embroidery skills, which currently are next to non-existent, definitely need to be beefed up (I have a stack of how-to books on reserve at the library, which will hopefully help with that hurdle). But this is the sort of project that allows -- and possibly even encourages -- you to learn as you go. More than anything, though, I am enjoying the process, and I seem to be off to a decent enough start.

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Yes, that looks quite crazy to me! But it will look fantastic when it is all done! Good job! I like doing projects and all, but I know I wouldn't have the patience for that. Good for you!

heath said...

Wow. I salute you. It looks amazing so far! Glad you enjoy it and it's not just a burden.

jeanine said...

I can't wait to see the final product!

Emily said...

It looks amazing so far! I actually enjoy sewing by hand too. I can actually watch a movie while I sew, instead of being stuck behind a loud sewing machine. :D

Carrie said...

That looks so cool. maybe someday I'll put my scraps to good use.

Lyndsie Miles said...

How cute! You just may inspire me to attempt to sew.

Jill said...

Way to be! I too and getting good at filling my solitary evenings! Maybe I should put a quilt next on my list! And way to just up and learn a new skill- what a woman!