Earlier this week I attended a Meet and Greet at Garrett's school where I was introduced to his teachers, speech therapist, and a handful of administrators. At the beginning everything seemed to be going just fine, on the surface at least. As I entered the building, I ran into the principal, a really nice lady who already recognizes me as "that adorable Garrett's mom." Outside Garrett's classroom I met the mother of one of the girls in his class. She correctly guessed what child I belonged to by looking at Caleb, and proceeded to tell me how her daughter is always talking about this boy in her class named Garrett. Then it was to the gym where the actual meeting took place. As I sat waiting for things to get started, I caught, in between smiles and welcomes, whispers of "that's Garrett's mom." I should have suspected something then, but, optimist that I am, I didn't think much of it.
The meeting started. Everyone introduced themselves and school policies and classroom procedures were reviewed. I then met one on one with his speech therapist, who told me that Garrett was doing great. "He's not throwing tantrums?" I asked, remembering some of the fits he had with Lina over the summer. "Oh no," she told me. "He works really well, and I think he'll make a lot of progress this year." Well, okay, I thought. Wonderful. I thanked her and went to speak with one of his classroom teachers.
"How is Garrett doing," I asked her. And then the truth came out, horrifically spilled all over the floor as she listed all of the problems Garrett was having at school. Apparently he cries several times a day and throws tantrums. He has a hard time sitting still and following directions. A lot of these problems have to do with the fact that he is the youngest in the class, and by a long shot, too -- he is barely 3 and the majority of the other children are 5, which is a huge gap, and something I was originally told would not be the case. His language delays are not helping matters either. Because he is in an integrated Pre-K program, his teachers, who are both special-ed certified, are required to teach from a science-based curriculum mandated by the state, which is proving difficult to adapt to someone of Garrett's age and ability. She told me repeatedly that she thought he was in the wrong class, that he'd do better in an all-day program in a class with fewer children and no state-mandated curriculum requirements. She also informed me that his IEP goals were totally inappropriate and definitely needed modifying. In all of this she had very few positive things to say about Garrett, except that she's surprised at how well he uses the potty at school.
I wanted to do a thousand things as I stood there listening to her, first and foremost being to just run far, far away. Instead I cried. I was upset with Garrett for behaving this way, and I was upset with his teacher for telling me all of this so harshly. I knew going into this experience that, based on what I know of his personality, Garrett would have a rough adjustment period to school. But that didn't make any of this less difficult to hear, especially after hearing so many good things, from Garrett, his other teacher by way of his class journal, and his therapist. His teacher apologized and tried to make me feel better. She told me that the situation was difficult but not impossible, that she had ideas formulating for how to help Garrett and was planning to work with his other teachers, the speech therapist, and me to work through these issues. But even so I still left the school feeling incredibly frustrated, confused, and embarrassed -- both for my son and for my tears.
At home I began the process of sorting all of this new information out. I called Blake and I called my mom, and after each conversation felt a little better. I drafted a letter to his teacher, which I sent to school with Garrett the next day, asking her to keep me informed so we could help resolve these issues at home. I told her I wanted to be involved in the process of helping Garrett acclimate, and reminded her that despite it all, Garrett did still love school.
I was a little embarrassed, knowing what I now know, to put Garrett on the school bus the next day, but by his happy return home, I realized that I didn't need to be. Even though there's work and teaching to be done, I know that with time things should improve, that a lot of these problems will solve themselves as Garrett gets older. As of right now I plan to keep Garrett where he is (I don't want him in an all-day class; he is only 3 after all), and I'm eager to be involved with his teachers as we work together to solve these problems. In the meantime I guess it's just another "welcome to motherhood," as my mom told me. This day was coming eventually, and I guess it was just as well that it happened sooner rather than later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
I can feel that pit in the depths of my stomach for you - being totally blindsided. You are a good and concerned mother - and that will make all of the difference in your son's education. Keep on it, girl.
I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that--but can I say that I love your heartfelt, honest posts like this one? You make me feel like I'm not alone, like there are others who know exactly how I feel at any given moment, on any given day. Thank you, thank you for your words!
I read this post with my mouth gaping open for 2 reasons (and these are my opinions):
1) A parent should NEVER find out that their child is having some real issues in a classroom at a parent/teacher conference. I can't believe his teacher didn't call you and talk to you about it. You totally went to that school thinking everything was going pretty well. You had absolutely no idea what was going on, and why should you? You aren't there. It's the teacher's job to keep you informed, especially in a case where Garrett is so much younger than the other kids and might take a little longer to get used to school.
2) I obviously wasn't there, but it sounds like the teacher just unleashed all this stuff on you. Hello, this is your first experience with Garrett in school. Let's at least start with the positive, and more than just how impressed she is that he can use the bathroom (which is great by the way, but I don't even see Garrett that much and I could think of at least 5 positive things to say about him!)
As a former teacher, this post made me very upset. Although Garrett comes home happy, it sounds like adjusting to school has been a little difficult. I know teaching is a hard job to have and you get busy and can't always call parents and notify them of things. But I would have been asking the teacher why this is the first I'm hearing of these problems. Oh it just burns me up! (Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.)
P.S. Here are my 5 positive things about Garrett: 1-He's adorable. 2-From what I've seen, he knows when you say it's time to go, you mean it's time to go.(He was trying to "encourage" Elizabeth to follow you guys when you were leaving the park. I even told Evan how obedient he was!) 3-He is interested in the world around him and exploring things. 4-He's making progress with his speech and his speech therapist says he'll probably make a lot of progress. and 5- He's 3 years old and can ride on a school bus by himself. I think that is amazing. I know that sounds silly, but I really do! And like I said, I don't spend much time around Garrett, but those are just a few of the great things I see in him. You're a great mom with 2 wonderful children!
Oh, Lindsay. I'm sorry. Mothering is so full of surprises. I agree with the above comment that the teacher should have informed you a lot earlier if she was that concerned. It sounds like she was unleashing some frustrations about the education system on you instead of talking about Garrett's concerns in the correct perspective. Hopefully things will improve soon. You're in my prayers.
I was going to say just what Sarah said, actually. Something similar happened to me once, and it was so hard. But, we worked through it, and S is a much better student. Partly, I believe, from the experience she had with this teacher who was a bit harsh for my liking. Hang in there!
I can't believe there isn't some couple hour a day program that has younger students in it. That age gap is unbelievable! Garret is probably not really even doing many things wrong, they are just things that 3 year olds do, not four and five year old. There is such a huge developmental difference there.
I hope you get it worked out. You do not need to be sad or be embarrassed by your little boy because he can't act like a 5 year old.
Poor you guys!
Oh my. I'm so sorry that happened the way that it did. I have to second the "as a former teacher" comments....that should not have been handed to you on a plate like that.
I also find it odd that the younger kids are all in all day programs and the older kids are in part day. What's up with that? Do you know why that is? Would it be possible for him to attend part of the all day program so that he's with his own peer group?
While the sad and embarrassed feelings are totally understandable, I'm sure you will (as you always seem to) rise to the occasion and fight the good fight for your little guy. Unfortunately, this is not really an isolated incident. The lot of "special needs" parents has always been that of having to fight for every little thing, and having to stand up for your kid over and over and over again.
As a final thought....if it came down to him really not being ready for preschool at all, and being happier at home with you for another year, could he receive the intervention services he needs in home again or not? Just wondering if you've explored all the possible options if things don't improve.
Good luck to you and to Mr. G!
To my courageous daughter,
It's so scary sending your kids into the world. Experiences like these help us better understand the admonition to "Pray Always."
With much love,
Dad
P.S. The deleted comment above was mine. I had to fix a typo.
Oh Lindsay, that is so awful. That teacher should have at least sugar coated her report. (And she should have notified you via telephone about these issues.) I probably would have cried too. Here you go to the conference expecting to hear some nice things (with no reason to suspect otherwise) and the teacher unloads.
As a teacher of special needs students I will add my two cents: You are your child's advocate. You (and the speech therapist) are the ones to ensure that his needs are being met. If his IEP goals are inappropriate--which honestly, I would check with the therapist because most regular education teachers don't know SpEd as well as they think they do--then by all means reconvene as a team and set some new goals. It's your right as a parent to call an IEP meeting and update/change the IEP if things aren't working. But, perhaps the IEP is fine and the speech therapist just needs to "remind" the teacher that the goals are sufficient. However, I'm assuming Garrett's goals are geared to speech only, and really it's the speech therapist's job to help him make progress on those. I don't know if Garrett will continue to require an IEP, but it's your job and right as a parent to make sure his needs are being met and that he is placed in the right settings. Most regular education teachers are good to work with (and just need to be reminded of certain needs because they have so many students to worry about!) but some you have to nag and harass a little.
I feel like I've written an essay, so I'll just close with: Good Luck! Things will get better. And remember that he is only 3 and that 3-year-olds are quite different than 5-year-olds. (I know you know that.) If anything, this will be good prep for future schooling; he'll be ready for kindergarten when the time comes!
Oh, Lindsay, I'm so sorry. That sounds like a miserable experience, and I would've cried myself all the way home.
I love the note from your dad. The idea of sending a 3 year old out into the world is a scary thing, and it's only made worse by hearing he's in a situation that seems to be gearing him up for failure on the first try. 3 year olds and 5 year olds are SO different in how they learn and what's appropriate to teach them. It's unfair of them to expect him to integrate into a classroom of 5 year olds. Bad on them.
I hope you can resolve the issues without having to go to full-day school. Because I'm simple enough to believe that good parenting is WAY better for little kids than the public education system. Hang in there, and let us know how it shakes out.
Lindsay:
After reading this, I kind of wanted to go and give that teacher a piece of my mind, but I know that probably wouldn't help. . .it's the thought that counts, right? Maybe she was having a super-bad day. I am not sure why she expects a three-year-old to act like a five-year-old.
You are such a good mom. I see you and I think to myself that I want to be more like you.
Garret is a dear boy. He is thoughtful and he cares about his brother. In nursery he plays very well with the other children. He is good with his food and eats quite neatly. . . I could go on and on.
Lindsay -
I don't know you very well and I do not know Garrett (love that name!) As a teacher and a parent, I am wondering if he has to go to school at three. I do not understand his speech IEP, however, I am wondering if with your education level and guidance, he would not do better waiting at least another year. Your home and environment and mother-love is so important. Garrett cannot vocalize if the other kids are bullying him, etc. I have always thought it is best to have children home as long as possible. Could he not continue speech at home? Please forgive if I have hurt or overstepped boundaries. I just see your skills as Garrett's loving mother and an educated woman more intuitive and supportive for Garrett. At home years are so short. Enough said. My heart hurts for you.
I teared up as I read your post. If I was in your situation, they definitely would have seen my water works. You have wonderful friends with super great commentaries and I echo all they have said. I have a few thought of my own, though. Firstly, he is in the wrong class. He should be in a program with children his same age. That needs to be corrected immediately. Secondly, I am appalled at that teacher's lack of sensitivity. She is definitely not trained to handle this kind of situation. She should have called you the first week to let you know about those issues and not wait until it turned into a habit for Garrett. What did they expect? He's just three years old! Also, it is not too late to write the principal a letter expressing your feelings, concerns, and suggestions. The principal needs to be notified of that teacher's poor training. Lindsay, I believe that both you and your husband are highly intellectual individuals with excellent parenting skills. I believe Garrett would benefit more from his parents' teaching and instruction at home. You are doing a stellar job as it is! You might say that you are not trained as a speech therapist and that may be true, but you know your own son. You could teach Garrett early in the morning before Caleb wakes up and during Caleb's nap time. Maybe someone in the ward could take care of Caleb for an hour or two during the day either at your home or elsewhere. Otherwise, check with your husband's insurance to see if speech therapy is covered and then place Garrett private sessions again. Whatever decisions you make, I wish you the best. I know you will go by your God-given motherly instinct. Sorry this is so long.
I agree wholeheartedly with the comments above, particularly those about you being a wonderful mom, Garrett being a wonderful little boy, and things working out. My heart goes out to you for your experience. It sounds like it should have been handled so differently.
Oh Lindsay, I feel for you so much. What a tough and emotional experience for you. I feel like sometimes as parents we feel we are pretty "tough" on our kids, but it's so hard to hear criticism from other people. I also find myself constantly comparing London to other children her own age...I can imagine how stark the differences must be when comparing 3-year old Garrett to 5 year olds! There is such a HUGE difference! You are dead-on about the part-day schedule - at this age, that's about all they can handle and still come home happy. I often feel like London's little 2.5 hour playgroup is too long, and that's only twice a week. Garrett is a little trooper for going to school every day! And so are you, for being able to let go as a parent and trust that he will have a good experience that day and get what he needs. As so many others have already stated, you are an amazing person and mother and I am constantly in awe at your calm and patient mothering skills. Your children are so lucky to have you.
Post a Comment