wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, September 17, 2010

week one

As I expected would happen, our daily routines have been thrown slightly off kilter because of Garrett's preschool schedule. Everyone around here is eating, napping, and whining at weird times. What I did not expect, however, was just how exhausting it would be for me. I've hardly been able to keep my head on straight these last few days, and it's wearing me out. I guess I need to adjust to the new schedule as much as my children do.

As for school itself, Garrett LOVES it. And he might love riding the school bus even more. Because he loves that bus so much, my qualms about putting him on it have been reduced considerably. Though he occasionally still falls asleep on the bus ride home, he hasn't been as cranky as a result like he was the first day, and as we walk back inside after he's dropped off, he is so excited to tell me all about how great his day has been. He loves telling me about school, the bus, and his teachers. I gather from our conversations that his teachers are very nice, he has played with toys, he loves snack time, and he's a big, big fan of the potty he gets to use at school. He seriously could not be happier.

Part of me wishes that I could be a fly on the wall of his classroom and watch what he does and see how he interacts. (But then I remember certain aspects of his personality and figure it's probably for the best that I stay relatively clueless.) In the next few weeks I'll get to meet his teachers, along with the other adults who will be working with him (such as the speech therapist and the psychologist assigned to his classroom), at various Parent Orientation meetings. At them I'll also become more acquainted with his school routine, which I'm sure will help us all with this school experience.

Caleb and I have made the most of our three hours together in the middle of every day. We've baked, gone on errands, played, and lounged around the house. I think one his favorite parts of this new daily routine is spending time out on the stoop twice every day waiting for Garrett's bus to either pick him up or drop him off. Very little makes him happier than spending time outside on the sidewalk picking up fallen leaves. My one-on-one time with Caleb is really very pleasant, but we're both happy to see Garrett when school is over.


I think it's great how seriously Garrett takes all this school business. He'll get things in gear and obey me the first time if I tell him school is on the line. I imagine that won't last forever, but I'll sure take it while we've got it. I also am surprised by how grown up only one week of preschool has made him. The things we talk about now are on a whole new level, and while I wouldn't rush to say he's suddenly more mature, we are definitely heading in that direction.

***

I gather from the calls and notes I've received this morning that the freak storm, which swept through New York City yesterday evening, made national news. I just wanted to let you all know that we are fine, and thank you for your concern. For the most part our neighborhood was spared. While a lot of people are dealing with downed trees (on top of their homes and cars, no less) and lost roofs, the most damage control we personally had to deal with was the rainwater that blew through our open windows. But this storm was certainly not something you could label as wimpy. Click the links for some impressive video and photographic coverage.

3 comments:

Riley said...

Crazy storm! We got hit in Ohio, but not as bad as NY and NJ! Glad You're all ok!

AmyJane said...

We're having and adjustment week over here too. It's been even crazier since Mallory and her kids have been here all week, so next week the real settling in to school routine starts. I'm pretty jealous that Garrett gets bussed though...I'm having to not only drive him there, but haul both little girls all the way in to sign him in and out every single day. In the pouring rain. It's awesome. Trying to figure out how to nicely ask for some special favors there, i.e. some form of curbside drop off. We'll see....

Desmama said...

I thought about you during that storm, too, and I'm glad you're okay. Such fun to hear about your little guys. I'm glad that Garrett is doing well in school. I imagine he's such a smart little guy that he'd take well to it. Caleb's hair is still awesome. :)