wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Sunday, September 26, 2010

the little red lighthouse and the great gray bridge


Two and a half years ago we tried to visit the Little Red Lighthouse under the great, gray George Washington Bridge. Instead we got hopelessly lost looking for the footbridge that would take us over the freeway and down to the lighthouse. I have been determined ever since to try again. But the combination of the fact that the lighthouse is only open for tours a few times a year and requires a long, long train ride up to 181st Street in Manhattan made that somewhat difficult. But yesterday we did it. And I don't know what our problem was last time because finding that footbridge turned out to be a cinch.

The Urban Park Rangers opened the lighthouse, which is indeed very little and very red, yesterday as a part of the annual Little Red Lighthouse Festival. When it was our turn to go inside, Caleb decided to throw a fit. But we hauled him up the tiny, circular staircase and steep, narrow ladder up to the light anyway. He wasn't thrilled, but we were only up there for a short time and he eventually got over it.


Garrett, on the other hand, had a great time. Ever since I told him a few days ago about our planned outing, he'd been telling me how excited he was to go see what he calls the "onhouse" (because, you know, lights turn on, so it makes complete sense). It was a long hike over steep terrain to get from the subway station down to the banks of the Hudson River where the lighthouse stands, but Garrett was a trooper. Getting to go up inside the lighthouse made the trek worth it. (So did getting to play in the gravel at the base of the lighthouse, but both of my boys are easily amused by rocks, sticks, and leaves, so that wasn't too surprising.) He handled the difficult steps to the light with nimble agility, and enjoyed the striking view from the top (especially the view of kids throwing rocks and sticks into the river -- he really wanted to hurry back down so he could do that, too).


Our friends, Cliff and Isaac, joined us on our excursion and it was great to have the company. The boys shared food and toys during a small picnic lunch on the grass while we waited for our scheduled turn to go in the lighthouse.


As fun as it was, I think I might have overdone it yesterday because the minor head cold I was dealing with had by bedtime exploded into full blown misery. It was for this reason that I stayed home from church today. But rest in the restorative sense hasn't much happened because, circumstances being what they are, the boys had to stay home, too. Oh well. I guess maybe, in between the sneezing and the nose-blowing, we should go pull out our copy of The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge and read it together. After yesterday's adventure, I think Garrett at least would enjoy it.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

When I didn't see you in church today I wondered if your cold had gotten worse! I hope you feel better soon. Moms don't really have time to get sick, I guess. Oh, and you forgot to mention along with rocks and sticks how entertaining ice (mixed with leaves and rocks) can be! Your boys are wonderful!

vdg family said...

Yay! I'm glad you made it! I had no doubt you would find it. I am sorry you are sick. Please get better right away.