wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, July 30, 2010

french dip

This mouthwatering recipe is adapted from a crockpot cookbook we got as a wedding gift. I've learned from experience that no two crockpots cook exactly alike, and by extension that experience leads me to suggest that you opt for the lesser amount of cooking time to get still-cooked, but much juicier meat. These sandwiches taste better when the meat is very tender. Also, be warned that cooking this dish will make your house smell absolutely divine.

French Dip
2 lb beef top round roast, trimmed of fat
3 cups water
1 cup soy sauce
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 bay leaf
3 whole peppercorns (I never have these, so I just sprinkle in black pepper)

Place roast in slow cooker. Add water, soy sauce, and seasonings. Cover and cook on high 5-6 hours. Remove meat from broth and thinly slice or shred. Strain broth and skim off fat. Pour broth into small bowls or ramekins for dipping. Serve beef on rolls.


A side of creamy mashed potatoes goes perfectly with this. I like to mash mine with the skins still on and whipped with milk and lots of butter and cream cheese.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds delicious, will have to give this a go, I think my husband will love it!

Kelly said...

so I'm not the only one who puts cream cheese in their mashed potatoes?! I love cream cheese! You should try an onion in those potatos and a few baby carrots. Yumm!

Kristi said...

That sounds fabulous. I might just have to brave my crock pot again. It and I aren't the best of friends.

I love cream cheese in my mashed potatoes - but I love sour cream in them as well. I add cream cheese and sour cream to taste and typically don't need any milk on top of it. Mmm.

Sarah Kay said...

sounds delish. I'll have to try.