
Today is my 10 year high school reunion, and the jury is still out on whether or not I'm torn up because I am 2200 miles away and therefore won't be going. High school, great as it was, is a part of my past that I'd really rather not revisit.
Besides, if I was in Provo this weekend, my brother wouldn't be able to come spend the 4th of July holiday with us in Brooklyn. Riley, who recently moved to Ohio, will be making a second attempt to spend a long weekend with us. (His first attempt, over Memorial Day weekend, fell apart after he hit a deer in Pennsylvania en route to New York.) It's always a party when Riley's around, so while our weekend plans aren't yet firmed up, whatever we decide to do will, I'm sure, amount to a good time.
While he's here, he'll be picking up the family "heirloom" baby cradle to take home with him because, as of January 2011, his growing family will need it more than ours does. That's right: Riley and Chelsea are expecting their first, and we're all really excited for them (if also a little nervous at the possibility of a Riley Jr....).
So here's to reunions -- both the small, intimate ones we look forward to, and the large, awkward ones we're slightly relieved we have a good excuse not to attend. It looks like I'm coming out on top this weekend as far as reunions are concerned.
9 comments:
I live 45 minutes away, and I, like you, decided it's not really something I'd like to revisit. I'll be camping instead. Besides, everyone I want to keep in contact with from HS, I'm already in contact with! :)
I figure with facebook and blogs I pretty much can keep in contact with whoever I please... and didn't feel once ounce of regret over not being able to attend my 10 year reunion last year. Plus I had a good excuse to not have to go :)
Um...we live a block from the reunion - that's right - A BLOCK - and Elliot decided he doesn't want to go. So don't feel too bad - you aren't missing out on much.
I am glad you feel like that too. I am skipping it and I don't have a good excuse.
Mine is coming up later this summer. I will go because I live here. Plus, my thinking is it isn't really about how much you enjoyed high school (cause I had good times and bad ones) but about the people. There are some I hope are there that I've lost touch with. And some I hope will come cause I haven't seen them in a while. But, I wouldn't have flown out here just for the reunion :)
I'm with you on this one. I keep in touch with a few people through Facebook, and another couple are permanent friends. But mostly I think reunions would be awkward at best. I'm coming up on 15 next year and haven't been to one yet.
You're all nuts! I'm as far away as you are and JUST got here, so couldn't make it to the reunion either, but I would have loved to go. I thought they were lame until we went to my husband's 10 Year (5 years ago! Geez, he's old.) and had a blast! I hope I'll see you all at the 20.
I'm not at the reunion either. And I've decided I'm not torn up. High school just seems like an entirely different life--except when we were friends--that's a highlight:)
Mine is later this summer...I'm going and I'm dragging Peter with me. If it turns out to be a bust then I won't go to the 20 year one, but at least this way I'll know if it's worth it or not to go. My dad has been to all of his and he loves meeting up with old friends.
Post a Comment