I'd been meaning to put the cloth book together for a year and a half, and I don't know why I put it off for so long -- it was incredibly simple to put together. The picture pieces came on a large fabric panel which I cut up, added batting to, and sewed together. I even decided to go ahead and do the optional machine quilting at the end, and I'm glad I did -- it adds a nice finishing touch. It's a replica of an object book originally published in the 1950s; I'm pretty smitten with how darling it turned out.
I discovered chalkboard cloth on our recent trip to Texas (at the same time that I was discovering oilcloth), and purchased some salvaged pieces to make travel chalkboard mats for the boys. In fact, all of the cloth I used for this project was salvaged: the binding and pockets used to be an old pair of khaki pants, and the backing came from the bag the boys' bedding sets came in. I saw some example chalkboard mats at the store where I purchased the chalkboard cloth, and mine were based on what I remembered of those. Inside each pocket is a piece of chalk and a square of old cloth to use as an eraser. The binding is hardly perfect, but it's good enough.
Even though both Garrett and Caleb have watched me at (and have been absolutely fascinated with) the sewing machine, neither has seen the finished products yet. I'm holding out until church on Sunday because I desperately need something new to keep them entertained and in their seats during Sacrament Meeting. Here's hoping I'm not the only one who thinks they're really cool.
10 comments:
They are going to LOVE IT!!!!!
Your creativity amazes me!
Great Job!!
They are great! I'll need to make a trip back to Fredericksburg.
Those are so adorable. Makes me wonder where I could get my hands on some chalkboard cloth and cute cloth book pattern!
What great projects! Well done, Lindsay! I'm in the mood for a project but it's not the best time to tackle one :) I'll have to keep these in mind for a later date.
Those are so creative! I love them.
They turned out so well, good job!
Super cute! Did they help with church behavior?
Incidentally, we've finally discovered the secret to peaceful church and it's name is Karen Wiest, alternately known as "the Kennedy whisperer." I don't know how she does it, but ever since Kurt was called to be the bishop and I invited/begged her to sit with us, things have been MUCH better on our bench. I feel bad, since technically there are other families who probably need her to sit with them more (like the families of Kurt's counselors) but I justify keeping her all to myself since no one can calm Kennedy down like she does. It's magic.
I love those! They are so cute. I am way into the vinetage style too. :)
Wow love them both!
Lindsay - must have a follow-up post please. How did the chalkboard mats work? Do they erase well? Seriously, are they non-messy enough for church? I am extremely curious, thinking ahead to Christmas and thinking upstairs of my sewing machine gathering dust.
Post a Comment