wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

mad as a hatter

Since Blake was called to be bishop, my days have grown longer, more difficult, and increasingly more lonely. Church business often takes him away from home, both on Sundays and throughout the week, and during those times he is at home, he's often taking care of church business over the phone and consequently isn't really "at home." It hasn't been easy, for either of us, but we're adjusting.

Monday evenings, however, are sacred. On Mondays, Blake does everything he can to come home from work on time (and, because his priorities are where they should be, he is always able to). We eat dinner together as a family, and afterward hold a simple Family Home Evening. After the boys are in bed, we enjoy the rest of the evening just the two of us. Blake doesn't make or answer church related phone calls, and I put away the projects and demands that have a tendency to pile up here at home. Monday evenings are quiet, simple bliss -- just what I need to recover from those long Sundays and to prepare myself for another lonely week.

Last week, a lovely Family Home Evening notwithstanding, I couldn't quite kick the funk I fell into. I needed something to take my mind off of and far away from the daily grind. And so I planned an overwhelming weekend to look forward to. And as exhausting as it was, it worked. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Am I ambitious? Of course I am! There is much to do, and time -- especially time spent together as a family -- is too precious to waste.

Am I crazy? Have I gone mad? In the words of Alice, I'm afraid so. I'm entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh what a world so few of us can relate to. here's to mondays!

Sara said...

Keep those Mondays for your family. You deserve it! Wish I were closer to give you a break or at least help entertain the boys!

Carrie said...

Hang in there sweetie! I can't imagine how it must be but I know you are "mad" enough to get through it with the best attitude anyone can. Your weekend sounds like it was fun and definitely doing the job of exhausting your boys. Love ya.

Dave said...

What's the plan for next weekend?