I love the first year of a child's life, but it goes by far too quickly. It is April now. The trees are blossoming, the spring flowers are lovely and fragrant, and it has been eight months since the August day you were born. You are still my baby boy, but at the rate you are growing, I know you won't be for long. I have to hang on to every moment so that I don't regret missing them as they pass.
You are everywhere these days, and you are fast. You only position yourself on your hands and knees (and sometimes even your toes in a push-up-like stance!) when you are stationary, but that doesn't stop you. As soon as you want to go somewhere you are back to your belly. You look like a swimmer specializing in the butterfly stroke when you move. You are also beginning your attempts to climb. You can't yet pull yourself to a complete stand, but you are close. Dad is convinced that at the rate you're going, you'll be walking at 10 months. I say we'll see. At least you are finally sitting steadily!
You haven't cut any teeth yet, but I'm wondering if your increased whining means that they'll start coming soon. A few of them sure look like they're ready to come through! A mouth without any teeth, however, does not stop you from trying new foods daily. You love to gum on bites of our meals, and while you are not quite dexterous enough to pick them up yourself, you love to devour Cheerios.
You do not like the vacuum or the blender. Both make you panic and scream hysterically. But you do love to be outside, even though you are still unsure about the cold, grainy feel of cement. You love to play with Garrett's Duplos (one of the few of his toys that he willingly lets you enjoy). And you really love your baths. When you hear the water being drawn, you race excitedly for the bathtub. Once in, you are adamant about staying on your tummy and even when Garrett joins you, you claim your space, and then some, like a total tub hog. You and Garrett are more playful these days, both in and out of the tub. I love watching you two get in each other's faces as you laugh together and have a great time. It makes me so happy to see you act like friends and playmates as well as brothers. Just like Garrett, you've grown attached to your silky blue blanket. When I tuck you into your crib, you hold it against your face while you suck your fingers. In this stance, in combination with your long, wild hair, you look an awful lot like Linus, the Peanuts character.
The summer months are just beginning, and we have a lot of adventures to embark on before your first year comes to a close. I am happy that you are here to enjoy them with us and, judging by the grin you burst into so often, I know you are happy, too. I love you, sweet Caleb!
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment