Yesterday was a very snowy day. I think all told we got about 12 inches. It wasn't quite as dramatic a snowstorm as the Valentine's blizzard that buried us in Muncie a few years ago, but it was enough for the boys and I to declare a snow day. Here's a little of what hunkering down looked like at our house.
Continuing in the tradition of reading local, we read The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats. At each page, Garrett would point to the picture and say, "Oooh, snow!"

Before he left for work, Blake assembled the igloo tent, and both boys had a great time playing in it.
We made peanut butter playdough, which Garrett loved to both play with and nibble on. It was easy to make -- just mix together 1 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup honey, and 2 cups powdered sugar. It had a great consistency for shaping, and while it was a little sweet for my tastes, Garrett thought it was pretty tasty.
Towards the end of the day, and about three-fourths of the way through the storm, we got a little stir crazy (emphasis on crazy), so we put on our coats and boots and went outside on the stoop. It took us more time to get our gear on than we actually spent outside, but it was worth it to see Garrett enjoy himself in all that snow.
And now we're dealing with the aftermath, which, judging by the view from my third floor window, seems to be pretty intense. The question now is: am I up to battling the snowbanks along the curb to catch a bus up to our weekly playgroup?
UPDATE: The answer to the above question is yes, apparently. We braved the piles of snow and survived, albeit much wetter than when we set out. It amazes me how that, despite the snow, it is pretty much business as usual out on the street. Of course, there are a lot more shovels and people trying to dig their cars out with them, but life continues on as normal here in Brooklyn.
4 comments:
Look at all that snow! El Nino has made snow in Washington almost non-existent. I personally love snow days--an excuse not to go anywhere. Good for you for getting out there! I love snow but hating driving in it...I would probably brave the snow too if I didn't have to drive.
How fun. We are sort of sad that we moved just before the GREAT big storms back east! We are loving the photos though. I think declaring a snow day would be great fun. Too bad we'll never be able to do that here.
Love Caleb's giggles on that video clip! So cute! I'm glad that Garrett had fun out in the snow. Liam had a blast yesterday afternoon. We attempted to make an igloo of our own with snow brick maker (basically a mold) that we got for $1 when Kaybee Toys closed. So fun!
Caleb's laugh is soooo cute! I love that something simple, like throwing blocks, can throw a baby into a fit of giggles. Too cute!
Post a Comment