When we were younger, my brothers and I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich almost every day for lunch. One of our favorite things to do as we chatted and giggled over our meal was to search our sandwiches for a Funny Thing. For the uninitiated, a Funny Thing was a piece of one slice of bread that, when the sandwich was opened, broke off and stuck, by way of the sticky peanut butter, to the other side of the bread, creating a "spilled milk"-like design. The more creatively the bread stuck, the more funny it was and the more absurd our laughter became. We also found similar humor at breakfast when we found two Honey Nut Cheerios stuck together in our cereal bowl. (These were brilliantly termed Stuck Together Ones.)
When, now as an adult, I think back on these silly mealtime games, I can't help but wonder what my mom thought of us as we giggled uncontrollably in the kitchen. She had every right to think we were crazy. But as I watch Garrett eat his peanut butter and honey sandwiches at lunch, biting it down to a stub of crust, which he proudly shows me, calling it an airplane or a bird or a flower before he starts laughing at his own silliness, it becomes a little clearer what my mom must have been thinking. And while I completely agree that my child has a bit of a crazy streak, I also find myself realizing that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree -- at least my little apple doesn't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Since you are on memory lane and the eating entertainment theme, can you tell me the story about the wall paper?
Ha ha! The wallpaper! There's really not much of a story behind our love of the wallpaper. I think we just spent a lot of time staring at it, and if you do that long enough, you start to see different shapes -- kind of like cloud watching, but in the kitchen. The only shape I remember seeing was a big chef's hat, which for some reason was also very funny. Apparently it didn't take much to amuse us...
I love it when my kids sit and laugh together, especially when I don't get the joke. :D By the way, we also have peanut butter and honey sandwiches nearly every day. My kids won't even touch peanut butter and jam.
I once found a triple stacked honey nut cheerio
I wish I could say something clever here, but Riley already accomplished that. Let's just say that I really love this post. A lot. Ah, good times. :)
Oh, and "no gives!" to taking out the empty milk carton. (Even though we'd probably just throw it down the stairs to the landing anyway.)
Post a Comment