wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

reading local

It's trendy these days to shop local, buy local, and eat local. And that is all well and good, but lately, at our house, we like to read local.

Mo Willems is an award-winning author and illustrator. And he lives in Brooklyn. We are big fans of his hilarious Pigeon books.





And we can't get enough of the autobiographical Knuffle Bunny series. (I especially love how his illustrations are set against a backdrop of photographs of the Park Slope neighborhood. Ah, Brooklyn. How lovely, especially when I know that, for presentation purposes, the litter has been picked up and the crummy window A/C units have been airbrushed out, to see you light up a picture book.)



And we've only just skimmed the surface.

By way of our library storytime's RIF program, our collection of Mo Willems books has been growing. We just can't seem to get enough. Because really, anyone who can serenade a hot dog ("Well, they are are a taste sensation. Each morsel is a joy! A celebration in a bun! If you've never experienced the splendor of a hot dog, you should really...") is a winner in my book.

8 comments:

AmyJane said...

While Mo is no local of ours, my kids have known his name before pretty much any author! I remember when the first pigeon book came out. I was teaching 3rd grade and the librarian read it to us one week. I laughed my head off, even though most of the other kids and teachers didn't seem to get it. It's a developed taste, I guess, but I love him. And Knuffle Bunny speaks to my heart.
Have you read "Leonardo The Terrible Monster?" That's my kid's latest favorite of his.

FoxyJ said...

We love Knuffle Bunny so much! When we were in Seattle he came out and did a reading so we got copies of it and the sequel signed for our kids. So much fun. I admit that I'm not a big fan of the Pigeon books for some reason, but we just got Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed and it's great. We also like the one about Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She was Extinct.

Jenny said...

Have you read the piggie and elephant books? They are our childrens' fav right now. YAY Mo Willems!

Wendy said...

We love Mo Willems at our house too. We began with Knuffle Bunny, then moved to the Pigeon books, and now Colton is completely enamoured with the Piggie and Gerald books. I'm always glad when he picks a few to read to me at the library.

Amy F. P. said...

We love Knuffle Bunny. We haven't read the Pigeon books yet. We'll have to give them a try.

Amy said...

Our library story time lady always reads the pigeon books to the kids. They love it!

Carrie said...

Thanks for the book recommendations! I bet the only "local" reading here is about the Amish (most of it Christian romance) and I can only take so much of that. How great that you guys get to live in such a cool place!

Emily said...

We love Mo Willems at our house!