wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Thursday, February 25, 2010

another inside day

If any of you are wondering why for the last few months our orbit has been pathetically small and centered mostly on home and those few places within a few blocks of home, take a look at this:


While this is the current view from my living room window, it has been an all too familiar one this season. To the inexperienced eye these big fat flakes of heavy, wet snow might not appear like much, but to me they are daunting. I just do not have the desire or energy to bundle two small boys up in their bulky winter gear, drag them down the stairs, force a stroller through the slush, and, depending on our destination, in and around New York City's public transportation system -- all while getting soaked as I do -- unless I absolutely have to. Our Brooklyn [read: car-less] lifestyle has given me new meaning to the term winter hibernation.

It has meanwhile also given me new meaning to the phrase stir crazy. I need warmer weather. We all do. Desperately. Or, if we can't have that, at least drier weather. Precipitation, in all its forms, does not make it easy, let alone inviting, to go outside for anything.

Stay tuned for summer, everyone. If I have any say in the matter, it's going to be good. And spent out of the house as much as possible.

5 comments:

Laurel said...

Oh, dear. Makes me grateful for snow plows in Utah.

Peter and Mandy said...

Forget the snow plows...move to San Diego :)

JoEllen said...

Oh man...slushy snow is the worst!

Kristi said...

Don't worry, Spring will come. At least that's what my sprouting tulips and daffodils are telling me. It's amazing how something so tiny and green can bring so much hope after a long and dreary Winter.

AmyJane said...

We've been learning this same lesson as we've been a one car family for over a year now. One car that has to go to work with Daddy every morning. Our homeboundness has less to do with weather and more to do with suburban distances that preclude walking anywhere good, sidewalks that are all but nonexistent, and a relentless pregnancy.
Some days and weeks are fine, and we find good ways to entertain ourselves and other weeks I end up in a blubbering mess about how much longer we can hold out on a second car purchase.

As for your particular situation, all I can really do is wish you good luck hanging in there until spring comes....it always does!