Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (where I live they are called chickpeas, but you might know them as garbonzo beans)
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp tahnini
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 1/4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 roasted red pepper, plus some extra for garnish
Simmer chickpeas in a saucepan until softened and heated through. In the bowl of a food processor, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, olive oil, and salt. Blend until smooth. Add roasted red pepper; blend until smoothly incorporated. Garnish by creating a well in the center of the dish in which it will be served and filling it with diced roasted red pepper. Serve warm or chilled with pita bread.
I made a lot of mistakes along the way, and to save you from doing the same, here are a few things you should note:
- Chickpeas puree much better in a food processor. I tried with my blender, but couldn't process them smooth enough.
- Tahini, in case this ingredient is new to you, is a sesame paste commonly used in the Middle East. Some websites claim you can substitute sesame seeds. I beg to differ. For me, it was the tahini that made all the difference. Because my neighborhood is heavily populated by Middle Eastern people, I can buy it at my regular grocery store. You, however, might have to get it at an ethnic market or perhaps at a health food store.
- Again, because of the ethnicity of my neighborhood, roasted red peppers are easy for me to find. There are a dozen varieties on the shelf of the international section of my grocery store. You, on the other hand, might have a harder time finding it. Check the international section of your grocery store first (it's sold in jars), but if you can't find it there, try an ethnic market or health food store.
- Some recipes call for a lot more lemon juice than I used (some up to a 1/2 cup). In my opinion, even a 1/4 cup was too much. Add more than my 1 teaspoon if you wish, but if it turns out too tart, don't say I didn't warn you. Same thing goes with the salt.
7 comments:
I LOVE SABRA! It's by far the smoothest, tastiest hummus ever. I first discovered it in Pittsburgh, where we had a large Jewish contingency.
We particularly like the supremely spicy variety, so I need to see if I can get marinated red pepper flakes like they have in Sabra's. I bought them once in PGH, but haven't found them since.
Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try my hand at this.
We love hummus, Harry calls it 'dip, dip' because of dipping pitta bread in. Thanks for this recipe sound yummy, dont have a food processer at the moment just a blender and like you said not sure it will make it smooth enough, but will save this recipe for another time x
Hurray! I really wanted you to share your secret recipe. Thanks.
I have found that I like the flavor best if I mash the garlic with the salt and let sit for 2-5 minutes before I add it to the rest of the ingredients. The garlic flavor because more complex and flavorful that way. I will have to try my hummus with the roasted red pepper. Sounds yummy.
Thanks so much! I just made some regular hummus the other night and I just love it. I can't wait to try this one! Did you know you can make hummus with other kinds of beans, like cannellini. Cool huh?
Thanks! We spend a lot on hummus each month. Oliver will choose it over peanut butter 9 out of 10 times on his toast. I'm excited to try making my own!
I don't think I'll make hummus...but thanks to you, I did make edible play doh this morning and it was a success (in terms of a way to entertain the kids instead of letting them trash the house) Not a success in terms of the fact that I had balls of pb dough thrown across my kitchen. thanks for the idea!
Post a Comment