wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

for caleb at six months


Dear Caleb,

It hit me a few weeks ago that you are no longer my tiny baby. Your infancy is zipping by so fast! Today you are six months old and halfway through your first year. Not only have you grown physically, but in the last few weeks your personality has exploded, as has your ability to interact with others. You have grasped the concept of want, which is evidenced by how often you reach for and grab things -- anything; you are not picky -- as if your very existence depended on it. I especially love it when you grab me by the cheeks and pull me closer to you.

These days you are always moving. You wiggle out of a cradle hold when I feed you. You roll with more purpose. Your knee-tuck and face-plant method of getting around the room might not yet qualify as scooting, but it definitely gets you places. And while your world may still be small, it is ever growing bigger. Your explorations have led to discoveries of new toys and have taught you the unpleasantness of getting stuck halfway under the couch.

You appear to always want in on the action, whatever it might be. You especially want to be a part of whatever it is Garrett is doing. The looks of absolute admiration that you so frequently give him are incredibly charming. I look forward to the day when your playtime together is a little less one-sided.

I am convinced that you are the world's messiest eater -- at least the messiest eater I've ever fed. In addition to the smearing of fruit and vegetable purees around your mouth that is typical to babies your age, you also smear it all over the rest of your body, thanks to your habit of sucking on your fingers in between bites. You are the only person I know of who must have his socks removed before you sit down at the dinner table. I'd strip you down to a diaper if it wasn't still winter. Add the constant drool, the playful raspberries you blow, and the ever-present reflux-induced spit up, and it's a wonder you don't spend your entire days in the bathtub.

Your screams (both happy and upset) have intensified. You've discovered your ticklish little feet. And you are sitting, albeit with a bit of pillow support (but we all have to start somewhere, right?) Your laugh lights up a room, and I can't seem to get enough of you.

I love you!

Love,
Mama

2 comments:

Claire said...

Such a cute boy! Glad to hear what awaits in the next few months.

Emily said...

Happy 6 month birthday!!!! xxxx