wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Friday, July 1, 2011

how he is growing

All day yesterday Garrett repeatedly asked me if he was bigger, as if the shirt he fit the day before no longer did. "Of course you're bigger," I'd reply. "You're four now." But even so, it's hard to believe that this little boy

Garrett at 6 months

somehow grew into this big boy.

Garrett at 4 years

And yet, here we are. At his annual well check-up this morning Garrett was measured, so if photographic proof isn't enough that he's been doing some good old-fashioned growing these last four years, here are the numbers:

Weight: 33 lbs (25th percentile)
Height: 40 inches (50th percentile)

It's obvious that he's been growing physically, but he has also grown into the sort of boy who picks me dandelions and says, "Here, I pick this you. I love you, Mom," as he hands them to me.

Aw, that's so sweet, you might be thinking to yourselves. And it is. But really, most of what comes out of his mouth these days sends me into silent hysterics. A few examples:
  • When he needs to temporarily excuse himself from the table: "Pause my dinner." Or, if he's being specific, "Pause my tortilla."
  • "I love these shorts! They're so comfortable!"
  • "DVD -- that spells watching!"
  • As we finally get off the subway after making several transfers: "Ah, we did it. We here. Good job, Mom. High five."
  • After waking up to celebratory decorations on his birthday: "Oh wow! I love it! It's so nice! It's so beautiful!"
Seriously, though, this boy loves to talk. And talk. And talk. "Mom, can we talk?" he frequently asks me. "What about?" I say. "Um, somefing...um...maybe toys," is a typical reply.

He's also evolved into a very social boy. Everyone is his friend. In fact, friend is his general term for any kid. He's not afraid to attach himself to people at the playground, and he has a more enjoyable time while we're there because of it.

I'm very proud of the boy he is becoming. He has his struggles, but his strengths are so charming that at the end of the day (some of which are very, very long), it's hard not to let his good outweigh the, well, more challenging. He adds so much to our family, and we are blessed to have him.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

What a cutie. Also - he's really getting big. I looked at Kate yesterday and found myself wondering what in the world happened that she got so big! Garrett has such long legs in that swing.

Whitney said...

Sometimes I want to ask you exactly what you do and say with Garrett so I can make sure Blake says cute things like Garrett. Oh, and the "Mom, can we talk?" thing...melts my heart. I will cry the day Blake wants to sit and chat with me!

AmyJane said...

I'm going to tell you some good news (that you probably already know): 4 is a delightful age. All the angsty crap of being three (and even two) calms down, they're so interesting and fun to be with. The closer and closer Patrick got to being 4 the more I thought, "Hey, I really like this kid again! ALL of the time!" Seriously. I can't wait until Kennedy turns 4, as I'm depending on 4 being the magical cure to being 3. I cannot say enough good things about 4 year olds (and 5 has been pretty swell too!) Yay for Garret! And yay for you!

Wendy said...

Garrett is looking so grown up! He sounds like such a fun, charming kid. I agree with AmyJane- enjoy 4. It really is a fun age.

cherry said...

I am learning a lot from you!

Happy Birthday Garrett!