The boys were a handful at church again today, and it was exhausting trying to keep up with them.
When Sacrament Meeting was over, and as I was packing up the mess on our pew, the sweet lady sitting behind me looked at me and with amazement in her voice said, "You are so patient! I kept watching Caleb throw those crayons and you just kept picking them right up. If it was me, why I'd..." And with that she made swatting motions with her hands. "I don't know how you do it."
"I grit my teeth and hope for the best," I told her, secretly pleased to be validated on the fact that even though my boys might look sweet and adorable, they don't necessarily always act that way. "And I'm really not that patient," I added. "The only thing that kept me from completely losing it was the fact that we were sitting in a chapel full of people."
She chuckled in understanding. "I suppose God knew what He was doing when He made children so cute."
Indeed.
Sunday, July 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That is why he made them so cute!! And chewy.
We had a rough day at church today too, we were 10 minutes late so there was a pew for us. I had Kaity and Abby sit in front of me. There were so terrified they didn't move. Abby pleaded with me to come sit with them so I squeezed in and then they fought the entire hour and 20 minutes. The meeting went long today of all days. I think they were too close for comfort!
We had a rough day too. Must be contagious around the country. My Sydney would NOT stop pestering her brother for the life of her, even when we moved her on the opposite end of the bench from him. She kept staring at him and making scary faces, both of which bother him *rolling eyes*.
Good thing for the congregation here too, or there would have been some of "mom's angry eyes" and more going on...
Blake was super pouty today and I was embarrassed by some of the things he did during Sunday school. (Which is why we left in the first 5 minutes and didn't go back.)
But his saving grace today was how he was captivated by the BBC series Life today after church. He was "ooo"ing and "ahhh"ing and gasping as he excitedly watched the segment on birds. So, I think I'll keep him.
Amen indeed! We attended a cousin's homecoming address today and Alex behaved rather well. However, I was convinced during the sacrament that he was the only nursery-age child in the chapel as he loudly exclaimed "Bread!" and "Wa'er!" multiple times as it was being passed to the congregation. We are grateful to have taught correct words in correct context, we just have no volume control yet! Will assured me as he took Alex out for a diaper change later on that there were indeed two potential-nursery children out in the halls which helped ease my conscience. :)
Yep, we also had a downright awful church week too, in fact, most every family with young children seemed to be having a tough go of it this week. Maybe it's a full moon or something!
I feel the same way. When ever people say I'm so patient with Eli, I can usually honestly say that if I wasn't in a public place, I would not have behaved so seemingly calm. Cuteness is their saving grace. One that they try to exploit when they look at you with that look of "how could you do that?" even though they needed the discipline.
Ditto for my family. I am so glad we sat and talked for a few minutes, in needed the time to talk to another woman--without children running all over me. Thanks!
Oh, man, I'm sorry it was a rough day. I often feel like sobbing at the end of sacrament meeting, and it has nothing to do with an intense religious experience or anything. More like I'm just mortified at my children.
Post a Comment