wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

free reading: a public service announcement

Have you heard of Dolly Parton's Imagination Library? It's a program designed for children from birth to age 5 that allows them to receive an age appropriate book every month -- FREE. In the words of Garrett, "That's cool, huh?"

In addition to the age requirement, a community must serve as an affiliate to pay for and distribute the books, promote the program, and register the children.

I first heard about the Imagination Library a few years ago. Unfortunately, at the time, no organization in New York City sponsored it. That has since changed, however, and last month I signed both Garrett and Caleb up.

Today our mailman brought the boys their first books. They each received their very own copy of The Little Engine That Could, and they couldn't be more excited.

"I love my own book!" says Garrett as he thumbs through the pages.

"Da," Caleb nods in hearty agreement.



Click HERE to see if your community sponsors the Imagination Library and, if so, to sign your kids up.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Just signed the kids up! Hope it works! This is fun! Thanks for sharing!

MOMster said...

How cool! I'm definitely checking it out!