"[Harriet] got thirsty and stopped in her favorite luncheonette for an egg cream. It was her favorite because it was there that she had first begun to hear what peculiar things people say to each other. She liked to sit at the counter with her egg cream and let the voices from the tables behind her float over her head. Several conversations were always going on at once. Sometimes she would play a game and not look at the people until from listening to them she had decided what they looked like. Then she would turn around and see if she were right.
'A chocolate egg cream, please.'
'Certainly, Harriet. How are you?'
'Okay.' Harriet sat down, pleased that she was known. She put her twelve cents down and sipped away as she listened."
Harriet the Spy, chapter 3
My task was to do a bit of research to see if I could find someplace local where my mom could get that chocolate egg cream. (Also, I needed to find out what exactly an egg cream was.) Unfortunately, egg creams as Harriet knew them are hard to find these days. I have, however, found a few diners and delis in Brooklyn that still sell them, and we will definitely be trying some this fall.In the meantime, though, we've been making them ourselves. Finding a recipe was an extremely well-timed happy accident. One day after my mom made her request, we were at the grocery store perusing the chocolate syrup. One brand in particular, called Fox's U-Bet Original Chocolate Syrup, stood out to us. Blake noticed that it was manufactured in Brooklyn; I noticed that it had a recipe on the back for a New York Egg Cream. Consequently, we had to buy it.
Back at home I did a bit of research. Apparently, the chocolate egg cream is a New York, and particularly a Brooklyn, original, developed in the 1920s and sold almost exclusively at area soda fountains. It is not considered a true egg cream unless it's made with Fox's U-Bet Chocolate Syrup. Also, an egg cream, unlike its name suggests, does not have any eggs or cream. The three basic ingredients are whole milk, seltzer, and chocolate syrup.
In addition to the recipe on the back of our bottle of Fox's U-Bet, I found an instructional video online. I also found some directions at the H. Fox & Co. website. Armed with recipes (all of which were slightly different), we set out to make our own chocolate egg creams. Below is the recipe we had the most success with. They're not hard to make, and they taste really good. Plus, it's an authentic Brooklyn treat! So make one for yourself and, for a bit of literary authenticity, sip it while you read Harriet the Spy and/or eavesdrop.
Chocolate Egg Cream
Whole milk
Chocolate syrup (preferably Fox's U-Bet, if you're aiming for authenticity)
Seltzer
Pour about 1 inch of whole milk into a tall (8-10 oz.) glass, followed by about 1/2 inch of Fox's U-Bet Chocolate Syrup. Slowly fill the rest of the glass with seltzer, stopping perhaps 3/4 inch from the top. With a spoon, briskly stir the contents of the glass, making sure to whip up the chocolate syrup from the bottom. This will create a meringue-like cream at the top of the drink. Drizzle with additional chocolate syrup, if desired, and enjoy.
A few things you may want to note: Using whole milk is a must! Also, while you don't want to use too much, you also don't want to skimp; the milk makes it creamier and less watery. Lastly, be sure it drink it right away. They taste better fizzy, but go flat quickly.
8 comments:
That looks delicious! I have to admit, I've heard of an egg cream before but I thought it had egg in it so I thought it sounded disgusting. Good to know it in fact does not have egg in it and is great! And if you find a place that has a delicious egg cream let me know!
I love Harriet the Spy! I always wondered what an egg cream was, but thought it sounded kind of gross. I'm definitely going to try this. Maybe I'll just have to eat it with a tomato sandwich on the side... :D
Love the recipe and the literary reference! How absolutely fun, NY style.
And I loved the wedding pictures. Classic. Simply classic.
Ah, Egg Creams, so Brooklyn! My dad was born and raised in Brooklyn. He would make us them all the time and tell us the story about their origin. The way he tells it, "You would go to the store and ask for "a cream" and with the accent, it just evolved and everyone called them egg creams." And yes, it's not a true egg cream with out Fox's!
Oh and they taste even better with heavy cream...
Looks so good!
Apparently, this place has awesome egg creams. Some of our friends tried it and their kids loved it :) They even get little soda jerk hats.
http://brooklynfarmacy.blogspot.com/
My mother-in-law loves herself a good egg cream. I too was always grossed out by the idea, but once she made me one, I never looked back! They're awesome.
Cute post.
Post a Comment