- On his actual birthday, Garrett woke up to balloons hanging from the living room light fixture, just like he had requested, as well as a curtain of streamers hanging from his bedroom door. He thought both were awesome. Or, to use his words, "It so nice! It so beautiful!"
- He was mostly whiny and cranky that morning at our weekly playgroup, which was held at the best sprinkler park in the neighborhood. But after repeatedly telling him to just snap out of it already, it's your birthday, for crying out loud, I think he had fun running through the frigid water and begging water balloons from bigger boys.

- The evening was the most anticipated part of the day, which was scheduled to include opening presents and eating the cake I baked (cherry chip, imported just for the occasion from Provo, Utah, with chocolate frosting and sprinkles).
- Garrett got lots of great gifts, but the crown jewel was the fire truck. It was too awkward to wrap, so I stuck a bow on it and pulled it out at the end. It literally took his breath away when he saw it. He gave just the reaction I was hoping he would. And when he plays with it, he makes his own fire truck sounds, in addition to the ones the vehicle makes itself. (It is so satisfying, I've decided, making birthday dreams come true.)
- Caleb had an expectedly difficult time all day with the whole "it's my brother's birthday, not mine" bit. Watching Garrett open presents was the hardest part, but at least it's given me some good ideas for what to get him for his birthday next month (i.e. a duplicate of everything Garrett got, unless, of course, I can find new things so cool they will reverse the tide of jealousy).
- We had to light the candles on the cake three times because Caleb kept blowing them out.

- Saturday afternoon was the birthday party with friends. I spent the morning filling over 200 water balloons, which we lugged in our cart to the park. We also had, thanks to the good folks at the Oriental Trading Company, a supply of squirt guns and bubbles. My goal was organized chaos, and by giving the kids free reign of all the water toys, that's exactly what I got. They had a great time, as you can see below.

- If you thought that was chaotic, then let me tell you about opening the gifts. All the kids were so excited about the things they were giving Garrett, that they practically opened them themselves, and all at the same time. It was dizzying to watch, and, like a tornado, it was over in just a few minutes. The kids were right, though -- they gave Garrett some pretty great presents. He (and Caleb, when Garrett feels like sharing) have been in toy heaven ever since.
- When we pulled out the cake I announced that it was time to sing "Happy Birthday" to Garrett. He turned to me, a little confused, and exclaimed, "It's my birthday?!"
- Just as the guests were starting to leave, Caleb got upset over something and came crying to me. I picked him up to comfort him -- and then noticed that there was poop all over my hand, up my arm, and all over Caleb, from his lower back down to his toes. What the what?! And so in between my thank-you-for-comings I was dealing with the smelly aftermath of Caleb's explosion. It was gross. Really gross. I didn't have a change of clothes for Caleb, so spent his stroller ride home wearing nothing but a diaper. I'm sure we looked pretty backwoods walking home through the urban streets of Brooklyn. It's a crying shame that I didn't know about this make-shift outfit sooner.
In all of this I learned a few things.
- Always pack an extra change of clothes for Caleb (or at least an empty plastic sack);
- Helium-filled latex balloons, which my boys think are the greatest thing since sliced bread, are only 65 cents at our local party supply store. That bit of info might come in handy should I ever need to bribe them; and
- While it is incredibly satisfying making my child's birthday dreams come true, it is also incredibly exhausting. As fun as it's been to celebrate, I'm a little relieved that the parties are over. Caleb's 2nd birthday is in about 6 weeks; I've already decided he's just getting a nice, quiet family party at home. I hope he doesn't mind.
1 comment:
My favorite picture is Caleb trying to blow out Garrett's candle. And my favorite part of the video is when Naomi chucks a water balloon at Jill.
Post a Comment