Garrett...
- grasps the concept of time enough to always request "two more minutes."
- is finally interested in learning how to dress himself. In this regard he has suddenly become fiercely independent, and always wants to do it "by mysel." Judging by how often two legs end up one pant leg, his independence does not always equate success, but it's a start.
- his favorite articles of clothing to put on and wear are mittens, pajamas and slippers. Even at 3:00 in the afternoon.
- has started drawing people. The first is a portrait of his friend, Elizabeth. The second is a sketch of Santa Claus (notice the hat, which is what makes it distinctive).


- thinks the ideal place to freak out about something is in the middle of the road while we're crossing the street.
- is quick with a compliment. His favorites to dole out are, "That's so cute!" and "I'm proud of you."
- always fixes his hair in front of our building's lobby mirror before we head outside.
- is still terrified of houseflies and screams like a girl when one flies near him. The other day one particularly obnoxious fly somehow survived the below-freezing temperatures, sneaked into our apartment, and wreaked havoc on Garrett's anxiety levels. He was so scared of it, he continually tucked himself into bed for a nap, making sure his bedroom door was securely closed, and wouldn't get back up until he'd called out, "Mama -- bug gone?"
- is always singing -- preschool songs, Primary songs, TV show theme songs (Veggie Tales and Shaun the Sheep are current favorites).
- is a self-proclaimed "good helper." But seriously, he can be a really good helper (emphasis on can be).
Caleb...
- is a boy who knows what he wants.
- will stop everything for a good head rub. Back scratches are also welcome, but he is most affected when people rub his head and play with his hair. (He is definitely my child.)
- has started to develop a bit of a violent temper. My efforts to teach him that it's inappropriate to hit people and throw things at them have not yet begun to sink in.
- is obsessed with closing doors and keeping them shut.
- grins and waves to himself in our building's lobby mirror.
- flies food to his mouth like an airplane, and even includes sound effects.
- loves having his teeth brushed.
- tries to put on his own clothes. Socks and shoes are his specialty.
- is quick to smile.
- is a tease.
- every day after Garrett goes to school, he voluntarily puts his brother's blanket away on his bed. Caleb can be a good helper, too.
6 comments:
Awww, what good boys you have! I love the bug story. My kids just go over and squish them. However, they freak out with mosquitoes and it's humorous to watch them run around shrieking.
The independence thing can be a good thing but also a slow thing. Syd has entered the age of wanting to do everything herself and wants to help me cook, clean, do laundry, etc. I love her willingness to help, but things take two or seven times longer than usual. :P
It sounds like Garrett still struggles with the fly thing. Silly boy! I love hearing about all their little quirky things! I try to picture it all in my head (mostly the good things, that is). Lydia's starting to get her personality rolling. She loves to dance and is extremely attached right now. I could do without the latter. I can't get up to do anything lately without a huge screaming fit! Sigh. I know you understand.
If Garrett ever enters a phase where he doesn't want to nap but you want him to, maybe the threat of a fly would be good motivation, eh?
I love the mental image of Garrett smoothing down his hair as he leaves your building.
I think he really captured the essence of Elizabeth in that portrait. Don't you? Especially the hair.
Kathryn says: So sweet. The bug thing cracks me up. Thanks for the tips, Lindsay and Joyce. I am excited to get started (although they may not be complete until next Christmas ;)).
I think Kate and Garrett would be good friends. Kate is also terrified of flies. She's fine with spiders and bees - I guess because they've done a Sesame Street on both of them? - but flies completely unnerve her. If one lands on her she holds completely still (which she never does) and sobs until I come and fan it away.
Post a Comment