And now it's gone. The windows are blown out. The roof collapsed. I cried as I watched this footage of the main balcony as it crashed down in flames. The inside has been reduced to piles of rubble. John Curtis, the mayor of Provo, said after he entered the building during an initial inspection that it "looked like World War II." After pouring over the images depicting the fire and its aftermath, I'd say that's a pretty accurate description.
I need to stop looking at those images, not only for the sake of my broken, aching heart and to keep my mascara from running, but also because this is what Garrett drew on the back of his nursery handout yesterday at church:

"It's a fire," he told me, accurately portrayed using red, orange, and yellow crayons. He needs to go back to drawing portraits. Pictures of fires -- of this fire -- are too painful.
In his statement, Senator Orrin Hatch summed up nicely how I think many of us feel about this building:
The Provo Tabernacle was about more than mere bricks and mortar; it was an enduring symbol of the city and of the faith and fortitude of those early Utah pioneers. Fire may have destroyed the building, but it will never tarnish their proud legacy. It also will never diminish the cherished memories of those of us who were privileged to assemble there and feel of its special spirit.



9 comments:
I was at work in the wee hours of the morning when the first news and footage came on TV. I watched for a little while, and then I just couldn't watch any more. What a sad, sad day.
It still hurts.
Jon and I have been following the fire too. Such a sad weekend in Provo. It really does hurt.
Seminary grad, choir concerts, stake conferences...I'm heart sick too.
oh, that hurts. I didn't know at all. It is such a shame to lose such a beautiful building with so many great memories.
I know. I can't even think about it without feeling sick.
Hope you guys have a merry, merry Christmas this week, Linds!!!
Way to make me tear up again. It's been so sad!
I've been pretty depressed about it since it happened. My husband works right next door to the tabernacle and watched it burn all day. So sad. The kids and I drove by it when the fire was still raging and I just cried. It's hard to drive by its empty shell now.
I wanted to write something about this, but you did it better than I could have. Thanks Lindsay. I love that old building.
Post a Comment