32. Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott
I read this book on my mom's recommendation and, like her, while I didn't always agree with Lamott's lifestyle, I did find her insights very thought provoking, not to mention beautifully written. I appreciated, too, how well she notes that a firm faith in God can mend even the most broken-down life.
33. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradly
While the plot line of this mystery was hardly original, it was nevertheless an incredibly fun read that I thoroughly enjoyed. It is told from the point of view of the young Flavia de Luce, an aspiring chemist and novice detective, whose character I got a real kick out of. This is apparently the first of a series of Flavia de Luce mysteries. I liked this one enough to try reading more.
34. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
This was a re-read of an old favorite. Oh, how I love this book! And oh, how I laugh out loud over and over each time I read it. Seriously, if you have not yet read this classic, please do. The characters are delightful, the themes and commentary on the time period and social customs are fascinating, and the humor is awesome.
35. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
I picked up this book and briefly skimmed through it one day while browsing in an Anthropologie; my interest was piqued enough to find it later at the library. While I don't think I'm Type A enough to be as organized about so grand a personal happiness project as Rubin was, I do think that it is beneficial to evaluate my own happiness and make resolutions and adjustments to my life in order to increase it. I especially liked how all of her happiness resolutions focused on changing herself rather than those around her or her situation. It was wise and timely counsel for me.
36. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
This is a children's novel, and a darling one at that. It's set in Texas in 1899, and the heroine is, of course, Calpurnia Tate, the middle child and only girl in a family of brothers who discovers that she has something wonderful in common with her grandfather -- a love for the science of the natural world. It is beautifully written and fully deserves the Caldecott Honor it received.
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Okay, you've inspired me. I'm finally going to read Pride and P!
Loved Sweetness. I just finished the sequel and loved it too. Flavia is a favorite of mine. Same with Calpurnia.
BTW, saw a Mormon writing contest and thought of you - if you want to enter an essay or something, let me know and I'll send you the info.
Post a Comment