wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Saturday, December 4, 2010

is that so much to ask?

On this year's wish list:

- For my family to all be healthy -- and to stay healthy for longer than 30 seconds. The last six weeks have been a never-ending cycle of runny noses, hacking coughs that just won't die, sinus infections, and high fevers. Currently it's Caleb who's down with a case of bronchiolitis (UPDATE: and, after a follow-up visit to the doctor this morning, strep throat, too). He feels miserable and sounds miserable, but thankfully is taking his nebulizer treatments (and amoxicillin) like a champ.

- For peaceful dinners where Garrett actually eats what is served to him. A more firm crackdown on his already limited afternoon snack intake has been helping, but we still have a long way to go.

- For Caleb to stop spending so much time courting danger. If he doesn't learn to control his daredevil antics soon, I will die young, completely broke and of a heart attack.

- For Garrett and Caleb to get along. Deep down I know they love each other, and I occasionally witness them playing happily together. Those are beautiful moments for sure, but right now they are a little too few and far between.

Gosh, this list sounds like what my parents would say when, as a child, I'd ask them what they wanted for Christmas. So to lighten things up, I'll throw in a few more things I've sort of been hankering after lately.

- A car -- so long as it comes with a driveway to keep it on and stores with parking lots to shop at.

- An in-house washer and dryer.

- And while we're at, maybe also a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, and enough counter space to house the Kitchen-Aid mixer I someday hope to own.

13 comments:

Blake said...

You sound like my mom!

Sarah said...

Mothers can always have their dreams!

Whitney said...

I'd like everything on the second half of your list (and the first half, but the second half for me personally). I have a kitchen aid mixer that doesn't get nearly enough use. It sits on a table we put in the kitchen and it's just so inconvenient that it never gets any use. One day. One day.

(I'm adding the permanent extermination of all creepy crawly things to my list. A girl can dream.)

Carrie said...

I hope your wishes come true. I'm wishing for Eli to stop throwing epic tantrums when we take him places. He was the ONE child pregnancy prevention therapy for my brother and his wife this last summer. He hasn't gotten any better and I guess they'll get another dose at Christmas ;)

Unknown said...

I am now more grateful for the things on my list that I have, but I will add my list:

I want the kids to go to bed before 10pm and still take a nap
I want them to stop stripping naked every time they are in bed
I want Rachel to stop screeching over everything she wants
I want Adam to be brave enough to actually enjoy a play date without having to hold my hand the whole time
I want to get my christmas shopping done without children around period.
I want my husband home more, but I am grateful for the paycheck he produces when he's not.

whew...didn't realize I wanted so much :) good luck with your list!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Sorry about the sick kids - sounds awful!

I'm with you on wanting a Kitchen-Aid. I kept eying those black Friday ads for prices and realizing I don't need it quite yet.

Joyce said...

Thanks, Blake! I did always ask for peace and love each Christmas ... and you all wanted to buy something because it was easier. But, Lindsay, some of these things will come, so don't give up hope. (Actually, I think most of these things will come sooner or later!)

MOMster said...

We know all about sick kids and good health is on my wish list for 2011 too. I hope you are able to get the rest of what's on your list!!! Fingers are crossed for you!

Dave said...

Sounds like the Brooklyn era may be coming to a close.

Kimberly said...

I suddenly feel very spoiled! Though I definitely have my wish list too! But I'll spare you. I know I will be wishing for more of the mommy things next Christmas when Lydia has more time to get picky and grouchy. Good luck!

Lesley said...

haha, I love this. The first part felt like I was writing it myself. I'm sick of canceling things and being a no-show. What's up with these NYC sicknesses? :)

Thanks so much for your comments on my blog recently- I am a new follower to your blog and I am loving everything I see... PLEASE pass along any suggestions you have for NYC events in the city- we love the less touristy stuff too, though we will also be taking to 34th street this week. We'll have to trek it out to Brooklyn one of these days!

Emily said...

Being that you are someone with an unbelievably good attitude about things, I'd say your list is very reasonable. In other news, when i was complaining to Adam about our cramped kitchen, he said, "Remember the Jensens' kitchen." Sigh. It can always be worse :)

JoEllen said...

This is quite the list! I hope Santa delivers! You've been a good girl right?

I too know that my boys really love each other and the moments they play nicely together are just endearing. I wish there were more of them and I wish they could do things with me together. For example, only one boy can cook with me at a time because they simply can not share tasks. If Nicholas is cracking eggs, Little Sal must also crack eggs, and sometimes I only need one egg! Ugh!! Sal told me the other day "I'm sure at some point they grow out of it." I'm sure that day comes when they move out! So, for now I'm just enjoying those few small moments when they are nice to each other. :)