wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Saturday, December 11, 2010

o christmas tree


Last night we went to a nearby tree lot, conveniently located on the sidewalk outside the Rite Aid, and picked out a Christmas tree. Because we're almost always traveling to spend the holidays with family, and subsequently borrowing their Christmas trees, we haven't had a tree of our own since our first Christmas together five years ago. But we're staying in Brooklyn this Christmas, and a Christmas in Brooklyn most definitely needs a brightly decorated tree.

We picked a small tabletop tree, but it fits perfectly in our little apartment. We decorated it this morning, doing our best to cover up a few naked spots with ornaments. I think it looks lovely. And it smells even better!


Most of the ornaments we have were given to Blake as he grew up, but my favorites are the small handful that we've collected since we've been married: the miniature Ball jars we got in Muncie; the cup and saucer from my favorite New York City store, Fishs Eddy; Garrett and Caleb's first Christmas ornaments; and a Metrocard, which was this year's addition.

The boys are rightly excited to have a Christmas tree in our home, and they've made sure that they've been a part of its existence every step of the way. Garrett loved helping to fit each ornament on a branch, and Caleb loved helping to immediately pull them off. I know I have my work cut out for me this year in order to prevent any tree-related disasters, what with two hands-on, curious little boys in the house. (Caleb, I'm mostly looking at you.)


But, for a face like that, it's a little extra work I'm willing to take on. And after all, Christmas only comes once a year.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a cute little tree! We decided against putting ours up this year because of Lydia trying to use it to pull herself up. Plus we'll have one at my parent's house. I love Caleb's innocent face though!

Joyce said...

I love Caleb! And, Garrett will probably have fun rearranging ornaments daily ... I still do! What would Christmas be without kids? That's where it all began.

Shelly :) said...

Lindsay, what a darling tree! We just put ours up this weekend and with it being a little fake tree, we had the option to push our lower branches up just out of Alex's reach this year. However, at grandma and grandpa's house in Virginia there's a full-size tree to "play" with so we'll see what happens! You have adorably handsome boys and I hope things continue to go well this holiday season for you.

Emily said...

Really sweet tree! I know the feeling but it is worth it. We decorated the tree last night while the boys were sleeping and their little faces this morning when they came downstairs - priceless! x