On the Fourth of July [1949], a reception for several thousand was held at the U. S. Embassy, and it seemed that every American in Paris was there, all talking at once. We were surprised to run into five people who we didn't know were living in the city, including our old friends Alice and Dick, who were acting very strange. I felt that Alice, in particular, was snubbing us. I didn't understand why. Perhaps she was miserable. But then she suddenly blurted out how much she loathed the Parisians, whom she considered horrid, mean, grasping, chiseling, and unfriendly in every way. She couldn't wait to leave France, she claimed, and would never return.
Alice's words were still ringing in my ears the next morning, when I went marketing and suffered a flat tire, broke a milk bottle, and forgot to bring a basket for my strawberries. Yet every person I met was helpful and sweet, and my nice old fish lady even gave me a free fish-head for [my cat] Minette.
I was flummoxed and upset by Alice. She was someone I had once considered a good and sympathetic friend, but I just didn't understand her anymore. In contrast to her, I felt a lift of pure happiness every time I looked out the window. I had come to the conclusion that I must really be French, only no one had ever informed me of this fact. I loved the people, the food, the lay of the land, the civilized atmosphere, and the generous pace of life.
-- Julia Child in My Life in France
7 comments:
that's great! I would definitely be Alice...still don't know how you do it.
I really liked this post. I've been both Julia and Alice in the past: Julia in Pittsburgh, Alice in Utah.
It shows that attitude does make all the difference in the world, and it's so much more fun to love the world around you for everything it is, than scorn your life for everything it isn't.
Loving my own neighborhood a little more today - S.
I'll bet your favorite book has a lot to do with your positive outlook. It doesn't hurt that all of those friendly store owner neighbors always admire your children and look out for you as you pass by.
Your positive outlook kind of reminds me of how successful missionaries feel about the people of the area in which they serve.
I can't wait to hear your kids accent as they mature. :)
I'm so glad you are liking Brooklyn. I've always admired how you and Blake delve right into the treasures of wherever you live and it's something I'm trying to implement wherever Aaron and I move.
I love that book by Julia Childs. Glad you are happy to live where you do!
It really does show how much one's attitude can make such a difference. I think it would be charming to live in New York. And you show such a wonderful view of it!
You need to write a book, "Lindsay in New York."
I guess I must be French, too. Who knew?
I'm glad you love Brooklyn.
Post a Comment