wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Thursday, June 10, 2010

made

Here's that swimsuit cover-up dress my friend Naomi helped me make out of a beach towel, all finished and ready to wear.



Oh? Did you think I was going to personally model it? Sorry. Better luck next time maybe.

It took us less than two hours to make, and even though Naomi is the expert seamstress, I did quite a bit of the sewing myself (thank you very much). Well, I suppose I should say that I did most of the shirring myself. Who'd have thought that elastic thread could be so crazy awesome? Naomi sewed up the back (not that I couldn't have done that part myself, but Caleb chose that point to be particularly needy), and used her serger to clean up the edges of the seam. She also just happened to have some scraps of lime green linen, and with it she taught me how to make the straps.

I knew from the beginning that it would be fairly easy to make (which is why I even attempted it in the first place), but I didn't realize just how easy. And now I can't stop envisioning variations on this dress that I, along with my rekindled sewing skills, could whip up, both for myself and the little girls I someday hope to have.

Anyway, I think it turned out great and now I, a girl who doesn't really like to swim, am actually anxious to take it swimming.

10 comments:

jeanine said...

SO CUTE!!!

goddessdivine said...

Um, I want it modeled. I think we need a picture of the owner actually showing it off. ;-)

So cute! You are talented.

Kelly said...

Awesome~! I am going to have to make one of those now.

Amy F. P. said...

Great job! That turned out really cute. I love the idea!

Peter and Mandy said...

Wow that's really cute. I wish I had some real sewing skills.

Claudia said...

I love it!!! Could we have a "how to do ..." post??!! Please!! For those of us who like to sew but are not THAT into sewing ... (may be you've already posted something like this but I have been out of the blog world for a while and have not even look back on your other posts!).

Carrie said...

So cute!

Lindsay said...

Claudia -- follow the link for "swimsuit cover up dress" in the beginning of my post. That's where I found the pattern and instructions. I'm not going to do a "how to" post because the creator of this dress sells her how-to patterns, and I don't want to put her out of a job. :)

Janetta said...

Great job! Remember all those little girl sundresses I gave away on my blog a while back? I used elastic thread for those too! Now you can do all sorts of projects with this skill. Happy swimming!

Kimberly said...

Wow! I am totally going to have to make one of those! So cute!