wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

in memory of

Last night for Family Home Evening we read over a collection of memories Blake's uncle had put together of his father, Blake's Grandpa Matthews. It was a short, simple document, lovingly written, which highlighted some of Grandpa Matthews' admirable characteristics. After reading the memoir, we talked about how we could emulate some of those characteristics in our own parenting methods.

This morning, Grandpa Matthews passed away. His health had been deteriorating for some time, but the news of his death nonetheless took us by surprise. We are saddened and will miss him -- Blake especially; he was particularly close to his grandfather -- but take comfort in the principle of eternal families. Isn't that such a beautiful part of the plan of salvation?

I had only visited with Grandpa Matthews three times -- once before Blake and I were married, on our wedding day, and two summers ago when we were passing through Seattle. But it was enough for me to realize that all the good I'd ever heard about him was absolutely true. He was a great man, calm but firm, gentle, and with the happy ability to make those around him laugh and feel loved. He passed these traits onto his children and grandchildren, so even though he is gone, I don't have to look far to catch glimpses of him (I'm looking at you, Blake).

With Grandma and Grandpa Matthews, July 2008

1 comment:

vdg family said...

We are so sorry for your loss. Is there anything we can do for you?

M and W VDG