When the stake president came to our home to extend to Blake the calling of bishop, he asked me how I liked being the Primary President. I told him the truth: that it completely stressed me out, but ---
But.
But I loved it. I loved the children, and I loved the things they taught me. I loved how simply profound principles and doctrines of the gospel could be taught, and I loved how palpably the Spirit could be felt there each week.
But like almost all things you love (and completely stress over), it couldn't last forever. This morning I was released and my former counselor, Melanie, was called as the new president. She will do a fine job because I have a hunch that she may love these children even more than I do.
I'm grateful for my counselors and the teachers who supported me along the way in this calling. They made the burden lighter and I couldn't have done anything I did without them. I feel much lighter now that the burden of running the Primary auxiliary has been completely lifted, but that won't stop me from missing it.
[...] And behold, my joy is full. And when [Jesus] had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them. And when he had done this he wept again; And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones.
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Bishop? Wow--here comes another adventure! I had been in the primary presidency for a few years and have not been in it for about two--I still miss it! There is something so beautiful and simple about primary. What a wonderful opportunity for your family!
You are probably the world's greatest Primary President. I feel so blessed to have been able to serve with you. You love the children sooooo dearly and it shows in everything you do! :D
I wish I could have been there to see you released and M sustained. I want to raise my hand high in the air to thank you for your service. It must be so bittersweet to say goodbye to this calling. You've done a marvelous job.
I felt the same way about YW pres..."where did I carry all that burden?" is what I asked myself when I was released and didn't feel it anymore. I don't miss the stress AT ALL but I do miss the girls.
Did you get a new calling? I am sure you were a wonderful Primary president but now that your husband is the bishop, I really think that his calling is enough of a burden for both of you. I am sure you will be missed!
Bishop?! Oh my. I am behind the times.
Post a Comment