Wednesday, May 19, 2010
on the shelf
Because both Garrett and I deserve to have an enjoyable summer, spent outdoors and not glued to a potty chair, I've decided, after much debate, to put our potty training efforts on the shelf for a few months. We could have just kept doing what we were doing, but neither of us was happy, and even though I know things would have clicked for him eventually, his progress wasn't substantial enough for me to believe that it would have happened any time soon. I've been slow to realize (and accept) this, but there really is something to be said for doing things on his timetable, not mine. So we'll try again towards the end of the summer and see if more progress can be made then. I don't believe that this period of our first attempt has been a waste of time. He'll remember what he's learned when we pick things up again and will perhaps be mature enough then to catch on quicker. Even so, I have to keep reminding myself that, even though it may look like it on the surface, I am not giving up or admitting defeat. I'm just pushing the pause button until both of us are a little more ready.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
I found that with William it was so helpful to wait until he really wanted to do it. I've been toying with the idea to train James but I figured that I'd wait until the fall when William's in school all day and can really focus my efforts. (Also, a 10 hour plane ride to Alaska doesn't sound like the place for a newly potty-trained boy)
I did the exact same thing! I found that once I took a break, I could reapproach with more patience. Anna sailed through our second go...I wish you the same success!
Hey I want to second your other friends and hope I don't sound TOO much like I'm giving advice you never asked for. All three of my kids are potty trained though, and I have NEVER read a book or tried any specific "method". I did once offer candy as an incentive (read BRIBE) but it didnt' take. When I waited for my kids to do it on their own time things went quite smoothly--and you get to skip all the sippy cups, timers, pull ups etc. My girls were both ready early but Asher didn't care until he was almost 4. Hang in there.
I had to do that with Zach for about 9 months. Raef potty trained at 2.5 and Zach was done at 3.5, so I know what you mean. It is perfectly fine to quit and start over.
We did that, too. And now things are going much more smoothly! Just in time for baby #2 to arrive and throw our house into a whole new schedule! ;)
It was much easier to pick it up again than to start the first time around. Best of luck!
Good idea! I did the same thing with my oldest, and the second time around, when SHE was ready, it took one day. Seriously. I waited on my second and third girls for a long time. So much easier.
It'll be a good thing for everyone. And, like you said, what you just worked so hard for won't be wasted. Just keep being optimistic! He'll be ready soon.
Thank heavens for a "pause" button. Good job Lindsay. :D
Great timing! See you tomorrow. :)
We did the same thing with Tessa (the pause button) and it was SO much easier to wait until she was ready. I'm all about waiting and having it over in a couple days than trying to push it on them earlier.
We did the same thing and the second time around was better. I just felt like we weren't making progress quickly enough, or at all, the first time around. The second time was not totally enjoyable by any means, but so much better!
So many people told me that once you started, you just shouldn't stop, but we were both happier with a break in between our potty training sessions.
Good luck!
Agreed. It will come, and when it does, it won't be a fight. Have an awesome summer!!
We did the same thing, and it was very worth it. They do get it eventually, and it's not worth the time and mess to try and cram it when they're not ready.
I like pause. My whole life is on pause right now, so I feel it even more than usual. Yay for having the guts to use the pause button in mommyhood!
Post a Comment