Monday was a deal breaker sort of day. We were taking things up another notch, and I knew from the beginning that I was setting myself up for exhaustion and a horrible headache, not to mention lots of puddles and countless pairs of wet underpants. At the end of the day I was ready to end Round 1 (or are we on Round 2?), throw in the towel, and try again in a few months. If Tuesday didn't go any better, I vowed, that was exactly what I'd do.
But then Tuesday did go better. Immensely better. So long as I stayed on top of Garrett, constantly asking him if his pants were dry, if he needed to use the potty, and taking him there even though he claimed he didn't have to go (I know a potty dance when I see one), he kept his pants dry. In fact, he stayed dry until sometime during his mid-afternoon speech therapy session, with the exception of one accident just before lunch. Today's gone just about the same, and consequently both of us are feeling happier and more confident.
And so we're still at it. He won't go yet without prompting, and I have to sit with him while he does to help him, ahem, aim. But he's doing it. He goes every time I tell him to sit on the potty. And while I'm still the one telling him he needs to go, he's starting to go more because he needs to and less because he wants a treat (though the M&Ms dispensed through the gumball machine are still an incredible incentive).
But there are a few things we still need to figure out:
- Poop. It hasn't happened for him yet. Well, not in the potty. It has in his pants, however.
- Teaching him how to go without prompting. I'm told this will just click with him eventually, but I'm starting to wonder. I guess part of me is afraid that he'll just get in the habit of me always telling him to go so he won't learn how to do it himself. Am I worrying needlessly on this one?
- Wearing pants. He hasn't graduated to wearing pants over his underwear yet. I'm sort of waiting until he can go without prompting to start fully dressing him again, but like I mentioned above, I'm starting to wonder if that will ever happen. Or maybe we'll just embrace summer and stick to staying half-naked.
- And close on the heels of wearing pants -- leaving the house. Well, leaving it while wearing underwear. We've been gradually working up to more and more hours each day spent in underwear. By mid-afternoon, however, we've both just about had it. Either we need to leave the house to run a couple errands, or Garrett has a speech therapy session that requires his focus, and it's been difficult to make the leap while we're outdoors or doing other things.
- Naps and bedtime. Because of our limited access to laundry facilities (see also #4), I recently broke my own cardinal rule of potty training and bought a package of Pull-Ups. While the concept and fewer messes are nice, I really don't believe that disposable training pants teach kids anything. But I don't have a way to wash his sheets on a daily basis, so I bought some for him to wear while he sleeps. I also just started using them during his speech therapy sessions. I might use them to leave the house, but that one's still up in the air. I don't want him to think they are just a glorified diaper (even though that's what they are), so their use will be limited.
13 comments:
I have to agree that it will all of a sudden click one day. At least that's what happened with Anna. As far as I'm concerned, consistency is the key. Just stick to whatever routine you have and then one day it will all come together. For us, it was all about the timer and naked bum time. I don't know why it works, but it does!
I think the poop issue is all about learning their behaviors. Anna usually sneaks off to her room for some "privacy". So if she goes in there and is quiet then I know to get her to the toilet!
I also completely agree that it's a learning experience for the parents as well. I had to realize that it was going to happen on HER time, not mine. I am NOT a patient person so this was VERY hard for me. But I had to tell myself to relax and just take the slow and steady route.
I feel your pain! I hope you two are able to turn some corners soon!
Wow. I have no experience or advice. My kids look at the potty and say "Mama". So at least they know I think it's a great place to sit.
You're on the right road! One day it will just click for him. For Zach it was after I brought Josh home from the hospital (Zach was 3 1/2 at the time).
My kids also still wear diapers to bed. Until their little bladders grow a little more that just gives a little more piece of mind.
Good luck! Garrett's lucky to have a mommy like you!
I think that part of the Pull-Ups trick for us has been to still call them underwear.
Pooping has been (and still is) a serious business around here. Kate freaks out about it and it's rare that she doesn't burst into tears at some point. At the beginning, it was really hard for her to relax enough to go on the potty, resulting in a poop in her pants 1 minute after getting off the toilet. Or on the floor as soon as she stood up. Good times.
Once Kate got the hang of deciding she needed to go by herself, it led to some other problems - like "needing" to go to the bathroom 4 times in the middle of dinner for the novelty of getting up from the table. It's irritating. Just FYI.
You're not going to like this but my niece came down the stairs a couple weeks ago, took off her diaper and announced that she needed to go potty, and she did. My sister-in-law now takes her every 15 minutes to the bathroom. They haven't figured out poop either. I wouldn't worry about naps or bedtime yet. Bedtime is the hardest hurdle to overcome, so wait on that one. He'll get it on his time schedule.
I am no potty training expert, by any means!
We still use Pull-Ups at night because it was so hard for me to get Little Sal to wear any kind of underwear, I just hated to put him back into an official diaper. He has woken up dry like a totally of 3 times in his whole life. So, we're still working on the overnight thing.
When I started taking him out to run errands, we would go right before we left. i would pick something I knew would be quick (NOT grocery shopping), figure out where the bathroom was as soon as we got there, do our errand and head back home. We rarely had accidents while we were out and about. And if we did, I just treated it like any other accident. Luckily, we always have wipes and a change of clothes handy. :)
GOOD LUCK! It sounds like Garrett is making some serious progress, and that is great!
We are still potty training here, too. Liam is not afraid of the potty and will pee and poop on there with no troubles.....as long as he is naked from the waist down. Sometimes he will ask for underwear and he will still go potty. Hooray, but when I put his pants over his underwear, he once again feels nice and warm and comfy, so he forgets to run to the potty and then goes in his pants. Yuck. We are still working on this.
The only potty-training advice I have so far is to keep the diapers and the pull-ups away from view. Liam knows where they are and he will grab one to put on when he feels cold, has had enough of running to the potty, or when he says that he is "busy playing".
I agree that bedtime is a whole 'nother hurdle to overcome as it relates to potty training, so if he's able to learn how to go by himself during the day, the night will eventually come but I wouldn't push it. My little girl is almost four and is just now getting the hang of getting up to go at night. Days are fine for her but at night we used to just put her in a diaper and not worry about it. It isn't really something that I feel you can formally teach; it comes with maturity and time.
Hugging you! Christopher is nearly 3 1/2 years old...and this is the FIRST week of being dry long enough to "count". All day for 3 days...and in underwear...including trips away from home. It's been a LONG road. And I agree, Pull-Ups prevent progress. I've learned my lesson! Keep up the good work.
I'm sorry. Potty training is no fun. I don't really have any advice, except what you already seem to know. Pull-ups are useless. Lily recognized them immediately for what they are-- glorified diapers. For us the process was fairly simple. We went cold turkey with the underwear and after a couple of weeks Lily knew that it was easier to sit on the potty that to clean up her mess. I guess that that's the "clicking" that everybody keeps talking about.
Garrett is doing great!! So keep doing what you are doing.
Nap time and night time are a different step, manage the potty in waking hours worry about the other part later.
Nap time will come first, night time who knows when, our son has been potty trained for a year and we are still having wet pull-ups in the morning when he wakes up. (Yes we use pull-ups at night time)
He will learn to go on his own eventually, like everyone else has said, when they are ready it just happens. PROMISE!
Our son goes to daycare/preschool now and the fact that all the other little class mates went to the potty too I think helped him so you have made wonderful progress considering is just you and him doing all the work and cheering!
I know it's exhausting ... and yes the poop part is the hardest one, I remember I clean poop everywhere!
When we started going places, he peed before we left and first thing when we got to where we were going.
Our son peed standing up as he saw his daddy, I used to send them to the bathroom together, that made him feel like such a big boy!
Ok I think that's all I have to say ...
You are doing great, don't give up
It sounds like Garrett (and you) are doing great! We feel your pain, and excitement as we are working with Henry. My sister, who has potty-trained three children, posted some good tips on her site a couple weeks ago: http://thoughtsofadoctorswife.blogspot.com/2010/04/random-essential-tips-for-toilet.html
That link doesn't look like it copied all the way... the last part should be random-essential-tips-for-toilet.html
Post a Comment