If it appears that I have been MIA this week, it's because I have been. Physically, I'm still around -- in fact, I feel like I'm planted in the center of everything. But mentally (and, at times, emotionally) I've been someplace else. And while I can't quite pinpoint where exactly Someplace Else is, I can tell you that it's at the crossroads of Teething Infant and Potty Training Toddler. But I wouldn't go away without bringing something back to show for it, so here's what I got:
Garrett: has been spent the last three mornings wearing real big boy underwear and consuming fluids just about as fast as he can get them down. Consequently, he's spent about 80% of those mornings sitting on his potty. After breakfast we roll up the living room carpet, put old towels over the couch, turn on his favorite movies and wait for those liquids to work their way through his system. Each day has seen progress, and this morning he had zero accidents. On Day 2 we discovered that the most motivating reward for using his potty is a penny which he can use to get M&Ms from my old gumball machine. Apparently M&Ms dispensed less exotically are just not the same. By lunch time each day we're both (Garrett vocally and me secretly) relieved to put him back into a diaper. We still have a ways to go, but like my mom told me last night when I called her special Potty Training Hotline seeking advice, we're on the right path.
Caleb: Yesterday, about a week after he cut his first tooth, its neighbor moved in. And from the looks of things, the two units upstairs will soon be occupied as well. This had made Caleb mostly unpleasant to be around, except for when, after the dose of Tylenol kicks in, it makes him extra cuddly.
Somewhere in the middle of all of this, I took Garrett to the district office to get him evaluated for their Preschool Special Ed program so that he can continue speech therapy after he turns three. While Caleb made sure that everyone there knew his mouth hurt, Garrett did exactly what he was supposed to do (which was, of course, be utterly charming and linguistically unintelligible). I'm under the impression that this evaluation is more of a formality because they told me right then and there that he'd get services. They also hinted at the possibility of a free preschool education in an integrated classroom for the fall if he qualifies for that. So while they write up their reports and recommendations, I'll be taking Garrett to an audiologist for a comprehensive hearing exam to hopefully rule out the possibility of any potential hearing loss. I'm sure he'll love that.
So. All of this to say that I'm really glad the weekend is just about here. And Mother's Day weekend to boot. If there's one gift I'd really like my family to bestow upon me, it's a nap. A nice, long Sunday nap wherein I can momentarily pretend that potty training and teething and speech therapy will just take care of themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Sounds like a rough week. Our oldest did hearing tests, and tubes in her ears, and they actually made it quite fun--with blinking Minnie Mouse and fun music. Hopefully your doctor will be just as good with kids.
Um, the hearing test was fun. Not the tubes. But, the tubes were worth it--she was a much happier girl afterward!
We've missed you! Sounds like the potty training is going good -- Yay for Garrett! And grrrrrrrrrrrr for Caleb -- excited for his teeth, but I know the fussiness is not fun. He's got to be cute though!
Audiologists for children are fun -- they make them feel like it's all fun and games!
Lindsay you are doing amazing! I loved how you referred to Caleb's teeth as neighbors. Potty training is such an adventure. Good job to you for doing it!!!
Being a mom is hard some days. Some weeks. Some months. I hear you on that. Hang in there. I remember realizing this sometime in Kennedy's first year--the hard thing about more than one child is that they can both be in crisis at the SAME TIME. Which of course puts the Mom in double trouble trying to un-crisis everyone's lives.
I also hear you on the all-I-want-for-Mother's-Day thing. A nap. A happy family. Time to read alone, and perhaps pack a hospital bag. You know, the little things!
You are such a great mom. Seriously, I mean that. I love hearing of your adventures and how brave you are, jaunting around with your little tribe. And I'm sorry they've had a rough week (well, Caleb anyway) but I hope things calm down. And I really hope you get that nap and a lot more for Mother's Day, because you definitely deserve it.
Happy Mother's day weekend. I hope you get a long, lovely nap! Well done with the potty training, I have yet to start.
Gumballs FROM A GUMBALL MACHINE (I would have used italics here, as they are my current favorite font, but they are not available in comments. The nerve) was the only way Lily would potty train. Who knew?
Post a Comment