wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

the truth about the first post-partum trimester

Recently, while browsing in a fun little paper store, I came across this image:


It graced the cover of a small photo album, and when I first glanced at it, I wanted to laugh. But then, once I got to thinking about the kind of photographs I'd put inside it, I wanted to cry.

Yesterday, during a particularly difficult stretch of the afternoon, I took forty photos of Matthew in his element. Most of them turned out like this:


I'm not sure why I kept snapping photo after screaming photo of my unhappy baby other than maybe it was something to distract me from the harsh fact that every one of my attempts to soothe him were in vain.

Generally speaking, when he is awake, he is screaming. If he's not actually hollering, his inability to relax puts him on the brink of doing so. I know he hurts, and I'm doing all I can to help him. I keep him swaddled. I hold him very tightly in the very specific way against my body that he likes. I hold the binky in his mouth since he's usually too upset to keep it there himself, even though he wants it. I've taken him to the doctor, who diagnosed him with reflux. I give him an antacid three times a day. I thicken all of his bottles with cereal (after finally learning, through exhaustive trial and error, the right formula for allowing him to suck it through the nipple without creating a flow that was too fast for him to keep up with). I keep him upright as often as I can. I rock him. I bounce him. I wear him in the infant carrier so I can maybe keep him happy while I make dinner. I pat his back. I rub his tummy. I do what I can to fulfill his desire to be in my arms at every moment, often at the risk of neglecting the two others who also demand my attention (oh, wait -- those two combined are a force that cannot and will not be brushed aside; appeasing them is often just as tiresome as taking care of the newborn).

And I am so tired. My days turn to nights turn to days with what feels like little more than a blink of sleep (because you can't "sleep when the baby sleeps" when there are other small children to care for). I am running on fumes while pushing through a fog. Most days I feel like I am sinking or, at best, barely afloat. Thank goodness for the birth control, because were it not for that, I'd have no idea what day it is. (Also, I could potentially be heading down the same road that landed me here...) Everything around me is spiraling out of control, and I'm starting to lose my mind. I can't remember what I made for dinner last night or what I went to the other room to get. I feel detached and severely lacking the strength to be available to my children. And so instead I want to run away, from this city, from my life in this city. I want to scream and pull my hair out. I want to explode. Sometimes I implode. Usually I just cry right along with him.

So I get to give birth AND change diapers AND wear myself out with a long laundry list of other things to try to keep him comfortable and consoled. 

I'm no stranger to fussy newborns. I know I signed up for this, and I recognize that there are good moments as well as difficult ones. When I can summon the ability to wade through the exhaustion, I'm even able to enjoy them. Saving graces like the swing, which, when he's in the mood, sways him to sleep while freeing up my arms for other tasks, and the baths, which afford us both a few minutes of watery amnesia. There are the [all-too-] brief pauses of serenity in the middle of his wails when he seems to forget what all his fuss was about:

This photo taken only moments after the one above it.

And the evenings when he's relaxed and ready to explore the world around him:




He's not smiling yet, but he's close, and I know that all of this dizziness will be a little more rewarding once he does.

I'm "hanging in there" and "doing my best." I also know that this won't last forever, and a tiny part of me will even admit that maybe, just maybe, I'll miss these days when they're gone. But right now I'm in the thick of it. I feel depleted, and life is dark and draining, and sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be able to find the energy to truly enjoy this baby.

12 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! As you probably remember, Clara was also a difficult newborn. I cried...a lot and I still have nightmares about that very difficult, dark time in both our lives.

I know you already give him antacid but maybe you could try giving him gripe water? It got to the point where Clara wouldn't go to sleep without some.

Also, when it was all over, I realized that I really did have a touch of post-partum depression. My hormones were still wacked out and I still wasn't quite right even almost a year after. After talking to a nutritionist, I started taking fish and vitamin E oils. And they really, really helped! Talk to your doctor to see if they could be right for you.

I hope things get a little better for both of you soon.

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry. It's got to be so hard. I've never had to manage three at a time before. I hope you can find a bubble bath and a long nap somewhere in your week.

Eric said...

Very sorry, Lindsay! I know you are doing an absolutely great job, though. Both Kiersten and I will be thinking of you!

heath said...

I can't imagine how raw your nerves are. My prayers go out to you. It's probably very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now. I don't have any real advice, but a whole lot of sympathy. And for the record, I think you're pretty darn great. Good luck!

AmyJane said...

Oh. Oh. Oh. It really is so hard. My (probably useless) opinion is that at this point you've done everything a mother can and should to help him. Keep on keeping on there. I would focus your efforts on what might help you the most. Schedule a time for daddy to take a long shift. Check or get checked for symptoms of post partum depression. Work on your diet and any supplements that might help. Think about your needs and how you might troubleshoot there at least as much as you do his.

I know that sounds impossible, and trust me, I've been there. Man, just yesterday, I could hear our neighbor's new baby wailing and wailing and wailing. Such a huge part of me wanted to go over and offer to hold him for an hour. But I chickened out...didn't want her to think I was judging her mothering. Should have gone over and offered.

Sarah said...

You are in my prayers Lindsay.

Jessica said...

Lindsay:
If there is anything I have learned lately it's that if things are hard and you've done everything you can do you just press forward with faith. Just get through it. And pray. A lot. Often times it is the only thing left to do. Although it doesn't necessarily fix the situation it gives you the power to endure it.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Kristi said...

I'm so sorry.

I have a picture of Megan on her 2 month birthday (is that what you call it?) asleep in her bed. Without the background story, it looks like I was just a cute mom staring at my sleeping baby. But no, the picture is actually of the MIRACLE of her sleeping, since she NEVER did it. Scream, screamy scream scream, awake all the time. That was Megan. So I understand snapping the pictures of him screaming. You'll roll your eyes about them in a year, and then (hopefully) think they're funny in another 2 years after that. I still don't find the sleeping picture of Megan funny, and she's almost 2. I still remember how frustrating it was to have a screaming baby and no sleep. It's a nightmare. I imagine it's worse in an apartment, where you can't go to the back porch and pretend not to hear the screaming for a couple minutes. If I lived close, I'd invite him to come over and scream at my house for an hour or two.

Claudia said...

OH I want to cry with you, I want to run to your appartment, hold your baby and send you somewhere to sleep and rest for a few days and I don't even know you (in person ... I've known you through your blog for years), I promise I'm no pshycho :)

Keep crying and writting and praying and doing what you do so well ... beg your mom or sister or friend or somebody to come to your rescue now! Seems to me you are ready for a little break, don't you? Is that even possible?

Praying for energy and sanity and peace and confidence that this will pass and you will enjoy him as you did the other two when they were little.

<3 from NC

Amy said...

Loving you lots from Ohio. You are, and always have been, a hero of mine. Bless your tired little heart!

JoEllen said...

I love this post. Not because what you write about is happy or fun, but because it's REAL. It's real and totally relatable. I feel like I can handle anything IF I can sleep. Everything becomes more tolerable if you're rested, and everything becomes infinitely harder when you're not. Just as you said, it'll pass, but while you're in the midst of it, I'll be thinking of you and trying to send you some energy!

charity said...

I can only imagine! No kids yet here, but I've hear Chamomile tea works wonders for reflux. Also, if you're breastfeeding...my sister-in-law's babies all have had reflux and she went off dairy with the last one, which worked. Turns our her kids are alergic to milk.