Garrett has been ushered through this school year by a lot of people: teachers, teachers aides, bus drivers, bus aides, a speech therapist, and an occupational therapist. All of them [more than] deserve to be thanked -- each of them has contributed much to Garrett's growth and learning over the course of the last ten months. But how do you adequately thank so many people on a small budget? They say that you're not supposed to thank teachers with gifts of food, but with my sub-par crafting skills, as well as the fact that these days, thanks to my fussy infant-in-arms, I am rarely afforded the simultaneous use of both of my hands, food always appears to be the best route to go.
So this year I decided to interpret food to mean treats and put together cinnamon pancake mixes in canning jars. Because, really, who doesn't like to be handed a free meal, right? I know I enjoy not having to think too hard about what to make my family for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Also, this is a really tasty (and super easy) pancake recipe.
To turn this mix into an end-of-the-year thank you gift, to each one I attached a note that said, "Thanks for all the great mornings you gave Garrett this year." And voila -- a thoughtful, homemade (and delicious, if I may say so) gift for the educational professionals in Garrett's life.
Cinnamon Pancake Mix
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
4 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp salt
Layer ingredients in a quart-sized canning jar.
To jar mix add:
2 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
4 tbsp vegetable oil
Mix well to combine. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Cook on lightly greased griddle.
3 comments:
I have to disagree with you...I think your craft skills are pretty dang impressive!
LOVE this idea. And pancakes. And good teachers.
Was Garrett excited to pass them out?
We did cinnamon pancake mix for neighbor Christmas gifts one year ... it was a hit! I'm sure they will love it. And, I have to agree with JoEllen ... your craft skills are impressive.
Speaking from a teacher's perspective-we love home made goodies. (I can't tell you how many Starbucks cards I have that only get used to buy fruit or snacks on a trip...at least $100 probably more). One year I got a cookie mix in a jar and that was my favorite gift that year. Every year for Christmas one family makes peanut brittle...that stuff is divine! So really the home made goodies are wonderful!
Post a Comment