wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

back to school


Today was Garrett's much anticipated first day back to school. For weeks now he's been using the phrase "back to school" with enamored longing in his voice. "I so escited -- I go back to school!" "I doing growing. I so tall and I go back to school." "I go back to school summerday" ("summerday" to him means that fine line between someday and soon). Last night he was so "escited" that I was not only able to convince him to go to bed early but to stay in bed as well. When he woke up this morning, he was practically bubbling over: "Mom, this day so wonderful. I go back to school!"

He's returning this year to his beloved Class 6, this time as a Pre-K student. His teachers are the same and a few of his friends from last year (including Sofia) will also be there with him. This year, however, he is in the morning class, which I'm very happy about. I am especially glad that he gets to be in a situation he's already comfortable with. The repetition will be good for him, and, if nothing else, it will help him (all of us, really) start the year with surer footing than we did last fall.


Caleb cheeses it up while Garrett anxiously waits for his bus to come.


He confidently boarded his bus bright and early this morning and then it was just Caleb and me. I think Caleb has been looking forward to this day as much as his brother. He absolutely reveled in his Garrett-free morning. He got to watch the shows he wanted to watch (he chose "Leah," as in "Signing Time with Alex and Leah"), sit where he wanted to sit, play what he wanted to play, and say what he wanted to say without being interrupted. He was happy, though, when, just before lunch, Garrett came home.



When I went down to retrieve from the school bus, I found Garrett grinning from ear to ear. "How was your day?" I asked him.

He happily answered, "School so fun! I did painting! And there lots of girls! I next to Sofia. I love my school. I love my Class 6."

And so it begins. Again.

4 comments:

Desmama said...

*Sigh* Such precious boys. And I love it that he's so excited to go to school. Caleb, as always, is adorable. His hair is amazing. :)

AmyJane said...

I'm so happy for him! And you. And Caleb. It was a day of adjustment over here too, and we had an equally happy boy clamboring off that big yellow bus at the end of the day!

JoEllen said...

What a great start to the new year! I love your Garrettisms....it sounds so much like my own kiddos!

Love, love, love Caleb's big cheesy grin!!

Wendy said...

Such cute boys!