I've been buried lately in a haze of house guests (which has been fun) and head colds (which has not). The last few days have been long and difficult at times to get through, and while the desire has certainly been there, I have not been able to summon the energy to write, which for me can itself be a little depressing.
But the fog seems to be lifting, and I'm starting to resurface. And I'm positively itching to tell the world the wonderful thing that happened this morning.
(Brace yourselves.)
Like every Tuesday, (wait for it) I did our laundry (okay, keep waiting...). But today I did it at the brand new laundromat (!) that just opened around the corner from our building (!!!).
(It's the little things, guys.)
But seriously. Here's my laundry list of what makes this so awesome:
- The machines are digital -- state-of-the-art! -- and an improvement of several decades over what I had been using. (It's the first laundromat in Brooklyn I've seen that actually has a delicate cycle! Yippee! No more ruined/hand-washed-in-my-bathroom-sink sweaters!).
- And the cost is exactly the same as what I was paying before. (It's still an arm and a leg, but more worth the money since the machines actually work.)
- Speaking of money, installed on one wall is a change machine, which is something my former laundromat sadly lacked. So now I don't have to make special trips to the bank for quarters!
- The facility is clean. No cockroaches! No drippy ceilings!
- The hours of operation are much more conducive to allowing me to do laundry sans children. This will also help when unexpected laundry emergencies crop up, like they always seem to do.
- There's an air conditioner! Not that we'll likely need it much anymore this season, but another hot summer will be here before we know it.
- And did I mention that it's RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER?! No more lugging three enormous loads of laundry down three blocks. This is almost as good as having a laundry facility in the basement of our building (only probably better because it's nice, clean, and there are no mice). I can even go home between loads if I want! And getting to the laundromat through deep winter snows might actually be possible.
The part of me that feels loyal to Peggy, the proprietor of my former laundromat, will miss my weekly trips there. But for so many reasons I feel my loyalties shifting.
Sigh. I am happy.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Great news! I've often thought of you, lugging your laundry down the road, and wondered how you manage to do it.
I'm so happy for you! And isn't it funny what totally makes us happy when we live in New York?
Free soap every Wednesday with any Wash! Is your wash day changing? :)
No, really, this is great news. To quote your sister, this news is "so, so, so, so, so, so..." GREAT!
Wahoo!!! Your life will probably be a little easier now...hopefully. But a new laundromat is a MARVELOUS thing!!!
I wouldn't say that laundry is a little part of a mother's life...this is BIG news!
Always good to hear updates on your family even if I never comment to let you know that I'm reading. :)
Hooray! Now if the landlord will just surprise you by installing a dishwasher . . .
Yeah, for great laundry places! I'm so happy for you! Laundry is a big deal. Really, many aspects of my dream home have to do with the laundry.
Yay! That sounds like a lot better deal.
Hooray!!!
I just gave my washer a hug. You are tuff.
Lindsay, that's great. I'm so happy for you! I should count my blessings. I have a laundry in my building and dishwasher. But my apartment's elevator has broken for couple month.
I'm so angry with the super!
Post a Comment