wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

head colds and hostessing

It's always fun to see old friends when business or pleasure brings them to New York -- it's one of the perks of living here. And, yes, it's even fun to host them (even though we can't offer much more than an air mattress on the living room floor). What is not fun is getting sick just in time for a visit that had been on my calendar all year. Head colds and hostessing are not a combination I can recommend.

But despite the congestion, coughs, and magnificently runny noses, we managed to enjoy our visit this month with Kimberlie, who, along with her parents, spent a few days with us on both ends of the coastal New England cruise they took. Our sniffles didn't allow us to join them on any city excursions, but we did manage a walk down to see the harbor they'd be sailing out of, and last night I got to join them for a show on Broadway. (Mary Poppins was just as supercalifragilisticexpialidocious the second time around as it was the first.)


While it would have been nice to not have been sick while she was here, my biggest wish is that we had more time to sit and visit and catch up on all that I've missed since we left Muncie. Maybe next time (because, whether it takes place at my house or hers, there will be a next time.)

3 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

We really can't thank you enough! It was fantastic, although I am so sorry you felt lousy--it would have been more fun for you to join us the whole time. I, too, wish we could have just sat and chatted for hours. Next time!!

GR82BAMOM said...

Love Garrett's look on that pic. That's totally Liam, walking around with a stick. And love your longer locks!

Roxanne said...

You were such great hosts, despite feeling awful. It was so interesting to see the real life of a New York City family. I feel sad for the people I saw who struggled getting up the subway stairs more than I did. Thanks so much for your ideas and directions to places to see.