wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

birthday season

Garrett is still basking in the euphoria derived both from his recent trip to Grandma's house, as well as our encounter with mice. (He begins most conversations with people either with, "Last day we go Grandma's house on a hair-pane!" or "We see a mouse in my house!") But the anticipation of another thrilling event in his life is beginning to take precedence: that of his upcoming 4th birthday. ("Next birthday I four! In June!" he'll tell anyone within earshot.)

His actual birthday is not until the very end of this month, but he is already starting to plan the particulars of how he'd like to celebrate. For example:
  • He wants chocolate cake and chocolate cupcakes with green frosting, brown marshmallows and chocolate chips (I think he's remembering last year's cupcakes), or cupcakes with white frosting and strawberries (he picked these out the other day after eyeing the cover of one of my cookbooks). These should be adorned with candles shaped like sticks.
  • We also must sing the "Happy Birthday Song" lots of times.
  • There should be lots of balloons, with a few hung from the living room light fixture.
  • And presents, specifically a fire truck with buttons and lights and that makes noise. (He has also mentioned that he wants Caleb to have the accompanying ambulance.)
  • He wants to have "five friends" (he says as he holds up four fingers). When I ask who, he lists off Pierson, Joey, Roscoe, Sarah, Tommy, Baby Blake, Biff-biff, Daphne, and Michimu. When I ask him if he wants Sofia to come, he firmly tells me no.
Right now I'm doing my best to make as many of his dreams come true as I can. Whether or not he will have a friend party is still open for debate, but the month is young, so we'll see. For now I'll continue to let his excitement build up so that no matter how his birthday ends up being celebrated, he'll have a great day.

In the meantime, today happens to be my mom/Grandma's actual birthday. We all hope you have a great day, Mom! And if you could, eat an extra piece of cake for Garrett. I know he'd really appreciate that.


***

And on a mostly unrelated note, it suddenly turned hot and humid here. Consequently, the playground sprinklers have been turned on. Garrett's last day of school is not until June 27th, but I'd say that summer is officially here.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Birthdays are so much fun. I love that Garrett is planning and anticipating his. Tell your mom happy birthday from me!

Desmama said...

I love how specific he is about how he wants everything on his day. So darling! I can't believe he's going to be 4!

Sara said...

I can't believe he's nearly 4! Wow. Then again, my Garrett turns one this month. They grow incredibly quickly. Happy Birthday, Garrett!