wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Thursday, June 16, 2011

full of beans, plus more to give away

This year at school, Garrett has had two head teachers, three assistant teachers, one speech therapist, and a pair of bus drivers. They all more than deserve a great big thank you from us for making this school year such an enjoyable success for Garrett. So I started asking around to my teacher/former teacher friends for ideas for thank you gifts that we could present them each with on the last day of school. Based on their responses, I came to the following conclusions:
  1. Treats often get tossed because they get more than they could possibly eat.
  2. Sometimes the same thing happens to generic gifts, which can get lost in the shuffle.
  3. Thoughtful thank you notes and supplies for the classroom, however, are typically pretty welcome.
  4. Gift cards are an easy out.
I wanted to put together something nice, but I am not a wealthy woman, which pretty much ruled out gift cards tucked into the thoughtful thank you notes I will most definitely be writing. In my head something homemade is oftentimes the definition of meaningful so I started to think along the lines of something I could make. If it was somehow useful in their classroom, it would be all the better.

And then it hit me. Beanbags! I have a truckload of dried beans and fabric scraps that I need to clear out, and if anyone can get mileage out of beanbags, it's preschoolers and those that teach them. And so I set to work making a few sets of beanbags -- a large one for the main classroom teachers, and a smaller one for his speech therapist to use. I think they turned out nice. (And yes, the bus drivers will be getting something different.)



Apparently I found a rhythm at the sewing machine because even after divvying a bunch out for Garrett's teachers, I'm still quite literally swimming in beanbags. Blake thinks I should make a small business of sewing and selling them, but I remain unconvinced that there is a profitable market for beanbags. I plan to keep some for my boys to play with (even as I write this they are happily tossing them around the room by the handful)), but what should I do with the rest?

Do you want some? How about a giveaway? I have two sets of six that I'd be happy to see go to a new home. (Seriously. Have I mentioned how I made way too many?)


Just leave a comment to enter (one entry per person please). I will randomly pick two winners on Monday, June 20th.

21 comments:

Whitney said...

I'd love some! Ahem, I mean, Blake would love some!

jeanine said...

They are so cute! What a great idea for a gift... I'll have to remember that one!

Tyler said...

Henry and Peter are interested - that is, unless family is not eligible to participate (like public radio station sweepstakes).

Unknown said...

We definitely are interested! Way to be creative!

The Adams Family said...

Jonathan loves to toss things at our heads. It would be nice to have the objects softer. Please sign us up.
Michael

Emily said...

I'm interested! I think your bean bags are way cute.

AmyJane said...

Genius! That's a GREAT preschool teacher gift!
My kids would definately be interested, as their mother will likely never get around to sewing up cute beanbags!

Shelly :) said...

What a fun idea Lindsay! I know Alex would definitely enjoy having more "appropriate" items to throw and play with. Silly me for not wanting blocks, rocks, and other hard objects tossed around.

Kelly said...

We'd love some beanbags! You should see the ones I made...what a joke!! I'm still trying to figure out what to give our teachers...

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad to see you are giving the bean bags to the teachers as gifts. I think that's such a great idea. As much as I would love the bean bags, you do not have to enter me. I'm just glad you were able to use up your beans.:)

Kimberly said...

I'm sure Lydia would love some bean bags to toss around! She loved playing with the ones they had at storytime a while back. What a great gift idea! I'll have to remember that one!

Laura said...

They're lovely, and I'll have a toddler before I know it! I don't know about the NYC area, but if you can partner with a woodworker, those cornhole games are pretty popular around here, and I've seen a lot of people with homemade/custom made and painted sets around!

Carrie said...

We'd take a set off your hands ;) That's an awesome idea for a gift and I'm sure it will be well appreciated.

JoEllen said...

Maybe you should rethink the bus driver...he might like some beanbags to throw at the kids to help remind them to sit down. :)

Cute idea!!

Peter and Mandy said...

That is such a cute idea. I always get gift cards to Starbucks-which I regift out, or I treat all the teachers at my work. We also get a ton of See's candy giftcards. But your beanbags are just too cute! I'm sure Garrett's teachers will get a lot of use out of them.

Jessica said...

Um.. I would love them. So would Lily.

GR82BAMOM said...

What lovely bean bags! I would sure love to win a set made by you! Plus, I think I know just what to do with them. I will make some poster boards with tick-tac-toe, shapes and numbers! How fun this would be indoors or out! Yippee! Hope I win!

Sarah Kay said...

You're right, who doesn't love a bean bag or two. Count me in. -Sarah Berry

Kristi said...

Ooh, ooh! Pick me! Those are awesome. And people would totally buy them.

Janetta said...

Thanks for being generous with your extras...they're darling!

Unknown said...

I would love some! I am impressed at how many scraps you have. Do you sew a lot????