wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Thursday, June 2, 2011

the g & c special report


Here's a sampling of what those two crazy boys known as Garrett and Caleb (or GarrettCaleb when I can't decide which one I'm talking to) are up to these days.

Garrett
  • Has entered the phase where he is forever and always asking "why?" e.g. "Garrett, it's time for lunch." "Why?" "Because you're hungry." "Why?" "Because that's what you told me." "Why?" "BECAUSE IT IS, THAT'S WHY!"
  • Is addicted to picking leaves off of trees, bushes, and shrubs.
  • Is also addicted to mustard, and won't eat a ham and cheese sandwich without it. As a matter of fact, he won't eat bread period if it doesn't have a spread of mustard on it.
  • Is always singing, which is absolutely and completely adorable. Nursery songs, Primary songs, cartoon theme songs -- you name it. If it has a melody, chances are pretty good he'll get it stuck in his head.
  • New favorite show = The Backyardigans, which lends itself well to his love of singing.
  • His new favorite word is "incredible."
  • He finds particular enjoyment, when on walks through the neighborhood, in scaring unsuspecting pigeons enough to make them fly away. "Caught 'cha!" he says as he waves his arms and jumps in front of them.
  • Desperately wants a skateboard. He understands, though, that he won't be getting one until he's bigger. He needs to master the scooter first.
  • In addition to continuing to receive speech therapy, he will soon also start receiving occupational therapy to correct a mild sensory disorder.
  • Funny story relayed to me by his teachers at school: One day, during snack time, Garrett was sitting next to a little girl known for pushing everyone's buttons. Apparently she pushed Garrett to his limit, and in response he picked up his cup of water and splashed it in her face. His teachers, who aren't quite sure of the best way to cure this girl of her obnoxious habits, silently cheered him on.


Caleb
  • Is a little monkey, as in "monkey see monkey do everything that Garrett does."
  • Has graduated from the high chair and into a strap-free booster seat at the table.
  • Knows what he wants and when and how he wants it. Everything must be done on his terms or not at all. He has very little room for negotiation and compromise.
  • Does all his own stunts. And without any sign of fear or hesitation.
  • Likes to help carry grocery bags up the stairs to our apartment, and as much as I love the help (and wish his older brother would help, too), the way he stubbornly goes about it is pretty dangerous and makes my heart stop. And, unfortunately, he cannot be convinced to do it in a safer way or not at all. Like I mentioned above, it's all or nothing with this kid.
  • Knows all of the actions to "Popcorn Popping."


  • Favorite show = still Blue's Clues. And whenever I turn on Backyardigans for Garrett, Caleb flips out and throws a fit. The concept of taking turns is still new to him.
  • Prefers wearing sneakers to sandals.
  • Also prefers walking to riding in the stroller. Oh, excuse me -- prefers dawdling to riding in the stroller. To his credit, though, the other day he walked all the way from our apartment to the library and back, a distance of about one mile.
  • Loves to brush his teeth (the best part of which is, of course, getting to spit in the sink). Every evening, when I announce that it's time to brush teeth, he instantly drops whatever he's doing and makes a beeline for the bathroom where he climbs up on the toilet and turns the faucet on.

4 comments:

JoEllen said...

Oh Lindsay, your boys are too funny! I love the popcorn popping video. I love that Garrett sticks his face right into the camera at the end. I love that brothers can have similarities but be so totally different! Too cute.

MOMster said...

Your boys are so cute! I love learning about their likes and dislikes, quirks, etc. It allows us readers to get to know them, especially when we're on opposite sides of the country from you.

The Adams Family said...

I love Caleb's hair!!! I love all of the updates as well. It's so fun to get to know your family and all the fun you are having.
Kim

Desmama said...

Aw, such darling boys! Love that you capture their personalities so well in your descriptions. I just crack up at some of the little things you say they do--the pigeons, the teeth-brushing infatuation. So so cute.