Yesterday we started the week off with a bang by fulfilling in one fell swoop several of Garrett's greatest wishes: we rode the "orange boats" (i.e. the Staten Island Ferry) and visited a children's museum. It was our first time to the Staten Island Children's Museum, and now I know why residents of Staten Island are always so surprised when people venture across the water from other boroughs into their territory -- it is no small undertaking to get there! Our one-way travels included passage by train, boat, bus, and foot; going home we did it all again in reverse. Our friends, Ashley and London, joined us, which made slogging through snow and endless, bitterly cold waits at bus stops much more companionable.
The time and energy it took to get there have a tendency to out-weigh the time spent at the museum in my mind, but it really was nice place for the kids to run around and explore. The life-size chess game was a particular favorite. Another highlight was the snowball throwing that took place during our wait for the bus that would take us back to the ferry terminal.
Back at home, Garrett remarked to me several times, "Mom, I had fun day at the chillen mee-um. And the boat. And the bus. And the train. And London." Mission accomplished.

Day Two was much more low-key in comparison. The day was spent getting things done around the house in order to clear up the rest of the week for more adventures. While I wore myself out doing laundry and baking bread, the boys managed to wear themselves out by pulling out and playing with every toy they own and running in circles around the living room/kitchen loop in our apartment. Caleb, who is painfully pushing through four teeth right now and is consequently whiny and needy, further wore himself (and his mother) out by refusing to take a nap. Both boys practically put themselves to bed at 7:00, nearly an hour and a half earlier than their regular bedtime. (Woohoo!)
Plans for Day Three are still in the works. Will we a) go to Trader Joe's; b) bake and decorate sugar cookies; c) teach Garrett how to spit so that he can finally use regular toothpaste? I'm too tired to decide right now, so stay tuned.
8 comments:
A climbing wall!? That does look like fun!
I vote for spitting.
Wow, whatever you do have fun!
Teach Garrett to spit! Teach Garrett to spit! (Now that I'm thinking about it, how do you teach a person to spit?)
Its half term here too. I have just survived day 3!!! I hope your day 3 went well. Good luck with the spitting practice x
Wow, you're a trooper Lindsay. I don't know that I would take two boys traipsing around chilly New York for some adventures. Way to plan ahead! We're usually a spur-or-the-moment kind of family.
I am always amazed at how my own children can throw my schedule off so much. It is fun having them home, but it is a lot of work. You are a good mom planning fun things for the week off.
I've never heard of "half term." Good-luck!
Post a Comment