If I were putting things mildly, I'd say that this winter has been difficult. But this winter has been anything but mild. For me it has been crippling and debilitating, both physically and mentally. It has sent me on an emotional roller coaster that I wish I knew how to get off. Some days I'm fine, but most days I feel like I'm being crushed beneath the weight of snow and ice, and it's hard to remember that one of these days spring will come and the piling mounds of snow really will melt. On particularly bleak days, when it's dark and bitterly cold, I'm too anxious and afraid to even attempt to venture outside, but staying indoors can be just as daunting. I feel trapped, and we are all going stir crazy. The boys have accumulated more energy than any of us knows how to effectively deal with in small living quarters, and my patience and temper with them -- with everything, really -- often runs too short.
I don't like being this way, especially since I consider myself to be a generally happy person who has her life fairly in balance. But I'm struggling with how to keep these winter blues in check. It's hard to want to get out of bed in the morning and face the day (and, for that matter, sometimes it's hard to go to bed at night knowing that morning will eventually come), but I do it anyway. I try, really I try, to keep going, but so often the motivation to do so just isn't there and all I can do is break down and cry. Lucky for me, I have forgiving children and a patient husband. And sometimes I'm able to find something to occupy myself enough to keep my mind off of this bleak mid-winter. In the meantime, I'm really hoping the groundhog's prediction proves true. I could definitely do with an early spring.
I have to assume that I'm not the only one dealing with a bad case of Winter Blues. How are you warding them off?
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Oh Lindsay! I can't even imagine! We're on our 3rd snow day and my patience is running thin... and we had beautiful days last week. I can't imagine having endless snow days with little ones! Good luck fighting those winter blues...
YES! to everything you said. We are about fed up with winter around our house. Too much energy in too little space with a too impatient mother. What keeps us sane (obviously it isn't perfect because we're... not sane lately): Projects and my treadmill for me, movies (too many than I like)and play dates for the kids. I don't know how you do it without a car.
Amen! Being car-less during the day (though not stuck in small living quarters) I very much know how you feel. I want this winter to be OVER but it is only the beginning of February! How will I make it? The only thought that comes to mind would be a quick trip to a warmer place but we all know that isn't going to happen! Tax return perhaps?
projects.
books.
movies.
exercise videos.
playgroups.
talking to an adult every day, during the middle of the day, besides my husband.
I wish you luck, Lindsay. I feel your pain.
I'm right there with you! And our four snow days are not helping us all.
books, talking to an adult on the phone, and lots and lots of scripture study are my best suggestions.
Hang in there!!!
Being cooped up is enough to drive anyone crazy. Being cooped up with two energetic little boys is really enough to get you down.
Finding a patch of sunshine helps my mood more than anything else I've found. Even better is finding a patch of sunshine during nap time. :) I know a lot of people go tanning in the winter because it helps with seasonal depression. Just being in the bright, warm light is therapeutic.
Are there any places close to you where you can let the boys go and run off some steam? A YMCA or something? We love taking Kate to Jump on It out here, and it helps a bit.
Ugh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Some days I feel like we really need to get out, but I just can't muster the energy or excitement to go anywhere. And I only have 1! Last winter I was in Utah, and it seriously lasted until the beginning of May. So, I'm hoping with such a long winter last year for me, this year won't be as long. In general though, most winters I do feel a lot more moody and sad.
You've probably heard of this place, and I'm not sure of their prices, but it might be something fun to do. I wish Blake was old enough to do something like this: http://www.bounceu.com/open-bounce-u/
There's one on Fort Hamilton Pkwy
This was SO ME last winter. We only had one car last year and it was gone to work with Sean 99% of the time, giving me that same trapped feeling in a different way. I was pregnant and sick. It was dark and rained nonstop and it was baaaaaaaadddddd. For the first time in my life I started to understand actual depression. It was a rough winter.
I did dig out eventually, as you will, I'm sure. I got unpregnant, which helped, we finally gathered the funds for a 2nd car, and the sun did finally come out and spring returned.
Along the way the classic rememdies helped: scriptures, prayer, excercise, time to myself, time with friends, etc. The biggest problem for me though was that even though I knew I should do those things to feel better, I couldn't summon the energy/willpower and then I would feel even worse feeling guilty for not doing the things I knew I should. Can we say self-destructive cycle? Be gentle with yourself. This is really not a great time for self flaggellation in any form.
Anyway, all I can really offer in commiseration. I hope you feel better soon and I really hope it stops dumping snow on you.
This probably doesn't work that well with kids, but I read books (of course).
With Calvin's surgery almost here I keep having to put stuff off.. but wouldn't a valentines party for the kids be fun?! And I want to still to my ladies get together where we all bring something to work on. But again, it will have to wait. Less than a week now for my little guy! Yikes!
I'm so sorry, friend. I wish I had something to say that could help. Just come visit us ;). There's sunshine and warmth here. We'd LOVE to have you!
I can commiserate. Ideas to ward off winter blues:
Listen to music
Plan projects, i.e. sewing or crafts of some sort
Make a list of interesting topics you want to research and then check out books on the subjects
Take time for yourself EACH DAY. Plan something to look forward to at the end of each day, even if it's just a slice of cake and a good book. ;)
Playgroups are a good diversion for everyone. ;)
I feel the same way, too. Your friends here have offered great remedies. I strongly echo: music, sunshine and exercise (videos). Some comic relief from youtube also works for me. (Have you seen the Atlanta lady doing the weather report? Funny stuff.) Oh yeah and comfort foods. I try to get up in the morning before Liam for some much needed ME time. Then after breakfast, we get all rugged up and head outside, just to be outside in the fresh air, even if I don't have to run any errands.
We will be making Valentines this afternoon. At least, that's the plan.
Exercise with friends is the only thing saving me this winter!
Hey Lindsay, I'm finding your post a few days late and am not going to read all of the (great, I'm sure) comments you've already got. Forgive me if you've heard this already.
http://www.amazon.com/Verilux-VT05FWW1-HappyLight-6000/dp/B002Q2H2JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296944485&sr=8-1
Happy Lights saved us last winter. They work very well, but you have to use them for about 3 hours a day. I moved mine from my computer to my kitchen sink and would keep it on while I checked my e-mail, surfed the net, and tidied up the kitchen after dinner.
Move to San Diego...our winters are mild and spring comes early, and if you really need to see the snow it's just about an hour or so away.
Post a Comment