wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, February 14, 2011

"slow" is not a word he can say or apparently understand


This morning, right in the middle of our Valentine's celebrations (which I'll report on later), we stopped in at the pediatrician's for Caleb's 18 month well check-up. He's doing well -- even, if I may be so bold to say, a little above averagely well.

First, here are his measurements:

Weight: 24 lbs 5 oz
Length: 34 inches

He's gained half a pound and grown two inches in the last three months. While his weight is average, his length is in the 90th percentile. He is one tall, fast-growing little boy. I can hardly keep up with his wardrobe -- almost every week I'm putting away outgrown clothes and trading them up for articles in the next size. His heartbeat also indicated that he is a fast-moving boy. When the doctor asked if he ran around a lot, I was not only able to answer in the affirmative, but emphatically so.

Physically, Caleb is right up to speed. Developmentally, he's blowing us out of the water (well, me anyway, but the doctor was also definitely pleased and, dare I say, a little impressed). The thing that struck him the most was how many words he can say. A typical 18-month-old should be able to say 4-10 words; Caleb has mastered about twice that. To make sure I wasn't just fooling myself, when we got home I made a list of all the words and simple phrases he says on a regular basis. Here's what he's got (in no particular order):
  • hi
  • shoe
  • light
  • uh-oh
  • more
  • mama
  • hat
  • eyes
  • dad
  • clean up
  • I did it
  • done/all done
  • baby
  • blanket
  • here you go
  • no
  • bus
  • ball
  • tickle
  • hot
  • bye
He is also right on par with his ability to follow simple instructions. For example, he puts his dirty diapers in the garbage, soiled clothes in the hamper, retrieves his shoes when it's time to go outside, and puts toys away where they belong. He builds block towers, can eat with a spoon, and now it's time to teach him to drink from a cup sans sippy lid. He is a bright, capable, and helpful little boy.

He got a few shots, which is never fun, but he doesn't have to go back for more until after he's two. He's napping off the unpleasant side effects of getting poked, and I think I'm ready myself to go nap off the unpleasant side effects of dealing with the resulting screams.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Kathryn says: Sounds like Braeden and Caleb are right on par with each other (developmentally wise) ;) I always feel a little proud when I hear the doctor say my child is ahead developmentally, even though I really have nothing to do with it. :)