I learned a few things in the planning and hosting of this little party.
1. If I can let go and let the mess that will inevitably result just happen, I will have more fun.
2. But even letting go has its limits, as I learned when sweet little S walked out into the living room precariously balancing both Ocean's fish bowl and an open container of fish food as she said, "Look! I found a fish! Can I feed him?"
3. It turns out that Caleb also has a genetic predisposition (no doubt inherited from his mother) toward disliking messes. At one point I found him in the kitchen, the floor of which was covered in spilled cookie decorating sprinkles, picking those sprinkles up one at a time (weaving in and out of people to do so) and taking them to the garbage can.
4. I don't think I will ever not be surprised by how many people we can squeeze [relatively comfortably] into our little apartment.
5. Caleb is easily overwhelmed by crowds, and when he is, has a tendency to cling to me and burst unexpectedly into tears.
6. Garrett has a real knack for decorating sugar cookies. I should let him do this more often. (Note to self: It would be a particularly good wintertime diversion to keep us from going crazy inside when it's too cold and snowy to go outside.)
7. Apparently Valentine's Day is not celebrated here in the schools (sad!) which makes me want to propose that this party becomes an annual tradition.
8. I have some truly awesome friends here, and so do my boys. Thanks, everyone, for coming!
6 comments:
Super fun. Just letting go is the hardest part for me too (especially if it's my in-laws that are the ones making the alleged "mess").
I second the annual tradition! And now that I think about it, there were so many people in your apartment and it didn't feel like too many!
Also, I'm glad Ocean survived the first Valentine's day playgroup party. I hope he's around next year! (How long do betas live?)
Sounds like a fun and tasty time!
:*( I MISS YOU GUYS!!!
Letting go is hard for me too... even when it's not my house!! Weird huh?
Kelly, we miss you too. I'm trying but failing to not feel miserable and jealous. Glad. You. Had. Ffffffun. There, I said it.
Post a Comment