wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Sunday, February 6, 2011

guess who goes to nursery


Caleb is a full-fledged nursery child. Last Sunday was his first time, and while he's a little hesitant about the whole idea and clingy when I drop him off, he's just as easily distracted by the toys and has done very well so far. I was able to start him a few weeks early because I was just called as the Primary Music Leader, and a Caleb in nursery means a mom who can more easily do Singing Time in Primary and a dad who can be the bishop.

As a part of my calling I go into the nursery to sing songs with the children, and he's always very happy (or perhaps relieved?) to see me back. When I walk in, he runs up to me, grabs my hand and leads me to the door, indicating that it wouldn't bother him at all if we just left, and after I convince him to stay, he sits on my lap while we sing. Somehow I'm always able to sneak away again and, so long as he doesn't watch me leave, he does fine for the rest of the hour. When I go to pick him up after church, he's usually happily coloring. (But the second he sees me, he starts putting crayons away as he stands up to leave.)

I can't believe he's nearly 18 months already. That was a wicked-fast year and a half. It's gone by almost as fast as Caleb runs away from me when he sees me holding the camera.


9 comments:

heath said...

What a fun calling! And especially fun because it means you get to interact with both your boys. What a cute little man Caleb is.

The Adams Family said...

This is also my new calling... Michael and his artistic skills have been a huge help. At the end of the post below are the posters Michael made for If I listen with my heart.

http://mra-kpa.blogspot.com/2011/01/primary-calling.html

It has been very overwhelming but I love it! I might have to bug you this year for ideas if you don't mind. Also, if you haven't joined the Yahoo group "primusic" I would recommend joining, it's full of great ideas and you can ask group questions.

Kim

MOMster said...

That sure was a fast year and a half. I can't believe both your boys are in nursery/primary. Crazy! What a fun calling you have! How did I miss the fact that the hubby is bishop though?...

Carrie said...

So cute and fun. I'm the primary music leader too. I'll probably write to pick your brain about ideas ;)

Kristi said...

That's my favorite calling I've had so far. And then all the kids love you for years. So fun.

Nursery is indeed an inspired program. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's the most inspired in the church. :)

Joyce said...

What a grown up little boy! He would be so fun to have in nursery.

Peter and Mandy said...

Wow 18 months already!!! I remember reading about his birth. Seems like just yesterday.

jeanine said...

Want to come to our ward and be the primary music leader? we're in search of a new one... and it would mean that Blake is released from Bishop :)

JoEllen said...

he really is just so darn cute!!

I love this age. I feel like my boys can play better together now that Nicky is past the 18 month mark. 18 month olds are more independent and want to help, but still love to be snuggled. I just love it.

Caleb is adorable!